Let Battery Die, Now All Warning Lights Stay On With Engine Running

threepwood

I did something stupid, turned ignition key on and forgot key was left all day in the on position, killing battery. recharged battery and started car. but now all the idiot warning lights are on and will not go out. disconnected battery ground (30 seconds or so) and reconnected but this did not fix the problem. do i need to leave battery disconnected longer or is there some other way to reset these???

Did both. no change. Unfortunately what I did not think to do was check the battery voltage with the engine running. It's running 12.9 volts. Which tells me I toasted the alternator by leaving the ignition key on. Is that possible?

Yes could be. And I'm surprised it started, usually leaving it on ignition will ruin something for the ignition system.

Make sure all bat connections are good, and check the fuses too. 120 amp fusible link is for the alternator to.

Hi threepwood.

This is one of those things that make you wish you'd paid attention in shop class. LOL In trying to think this through, it's not clear if the lights were all on Before the battery drained. If that's the case it would seem it's not a battery/charging problem . However, if the lights only came on After the battery went dead, then I wonder if something else within the whole engine/electrical or ECU system went south.

You guys who are the experts, does this sound like something that took a hit and if one of the processors would need to be rebooted or replaced?

Paul

I think I would check the trunk lid hinge wiring also.......

Hey Billy.

Do you know what models and years had the problem with the bad wiring in the trunk hinges?

How were your Thanksgiving holiday(s)?

Thank you Sir.

Paul

It would be best if you charge your battery first, make sure it's fully charged before reconnecting it. Better if you drain the battery first before recharging, like a reset calibration sort of. Good luck!

Hi Joe and welcome.

Paul

• 2 weeks later...

Well, pulled the alternator and had it tested. Toast. Fortunately lifetime warranty at Autozone so cost me nothing but time and aggravation during a bad period of my life. Wife is in hospice care at the house and I am in the driveway replacing an alternator. Not a good time. But many thanks for your responses.

threepwood, you and your wife are in my prayers.. Phil 1:6... Paul I have had a battle since Thanksgiving, I enjoyed it, but was scheduled for some surgery and while checking me out, EKG, xrays and such... they found something they didn't like, and not wanting to lose me on the table, have been running me thru cardiology & pulmonary testing... some of which I failed by passing out several times... SO, thanks for your greetings, looking for a good Christmas season and blessings to you and yours

Well, pulled the alternator and had it tested. Toast. Fortunately lifetime warranty at Autozone so cost me nothing but time and aggravation during a bad period of my life. Wife is in hospice care at the house and I am in the driveway replacing an alternator. Not a good time. But many thanks for your responses.

I am very sorry to hear all that your carrying on your shoulders. We have a similar situation with our son-in-Laws father. He is in Hospice at home as well.

It is amazing sometimes to find out how many members on this site are fighting many of the same battles. Just log on to the Char Room and keep us up to date.

Paul

Many thanks for your kind thoughts. Unfortunately she passed away at 4:07 am. Thankfully I was there for her, but the pain is no less. I would like to pass on her final words of wisdom to you all "you never know when the last time you did something will be the last time you ever do it."
So please, for us, hug your spouse or significant other today and tell them how much you love them, as you
never know when it will be the last time.

Wow, sorry to hear that, and sorry for your loss. There is awa

Edit , I don't know what happened but the day I wrote all this the site just stopped working and I never finished it..

I think I was going to say, There is always hope, and it may not be the last time you ever do it. There is a chance of everlasting life. It is in the good book.

Sorry to hear about your wife. I actually did in home hospice for my mom earlier this year. We're lost her in February and its been tough but getting better ever since. Working on the car is your way of coping and I do the same thing so don't feel bad.