Steering Failure - Worried About Dealer Response

2007 IS 250 with approximately 240,000 miles. I am the original owner and the car is totally stock. The electric power steering stopped working several days ago. This was upon start-up after sitting for about 90 minutes, not while driving. The dealer checked the car out and held if for several days. Their 'repair' was to unplug the car's computer and plug it back in. Now the steering works. They tell me that no further repair is necessary. This all seems very odd to me. I'm scared out of my mind to allow my kid back in the car (18 year old new driver). It was literally impossible to turn the wheel when the steering went out. There was a steering campaign several years ago (9LC), but they tell me that my VIN is not in the range of cars needing repair.

Questons:

- is it possible for the steering failure to re-appear?

- could the steering fail while driving the car?

- is it safe to drive at all?

All replied appreciated.

Thanks

Jim

Jim,

Questons:

- is it possible for the steering failure to re-appear?

- could the steering fail while driving the car?

- is it safe to drive at all?

- YES it is possible for it to reappear.

- YES the steering could fail while driving car

- NO it is NOT safe to drive the car until you establish exactly why failed.

This is VERY serious problem. I would get in touch with Lexus Corporate Consumer Safety and explain this to them. My car has the electric steering and what you said scared me. I also would be afraid to drive the car and it makes me question the safety of mine. Please follow up with this and let us know. Make sure sure notify all parties and keep documentation so if you need to threaten a lawsuit, prior facts will be established and documented. Sending by email is an excellent way.

Be safe,

Denny

Thank you for your reply. I will be picking up the car this afternoon. I wrote an email to Lexus Corporate and also filed a complaint with the National Highway Traffic Safety Admin.

I will update this thread when information is available.

Thanks

Jim

Thank you. Before electric steering was ever installed on vehicles, this very issue was discussed. Probably over half the people still would prefer hydraulic. I actually like the electric steering, well at least until I heard your problem. I sincerely hope they are able to determine why this happened. With how things work out in the world, you may have just saved lives. You never know which is why I follow the old "better safe than sorry' mantra.

Good luck

Denny

Can't say as I would blame you. I can deal with broken suspension parts, broken exhaust, terrible brakes etc. but not with steering. Of course in the past I've had power steering fail and then you just have to muscle up. What you said about it being just locked? man oh man, I can only imaging terrible things and I care much for thinking about such things.

Hopefully the dealer won't try to lowball your trade in value due to steering issues.