Upgrading Lexus "premium " Sound System

I've searched high and low on forums, trying to find opinions on and solutions for what I consider a subpar sound system. My complaints are a poor sound stage, I find the music lacks depth, base, and clarity at a raised volume. I have a 2012 Honda Odyssey and maybe that noses out the Gx 460 when I've tested it on numerous drives. If it wasn't for the hands down#1 on reliability it would be a deal breaker, and unfortunately unless purchasing the luxury model the Mark Levinson upgrade isn't an option. It made me realize my personal bar has been lowered in car audio so drastically I can't remember the last time I heard a quality system. I've received estimates from 4k to 6k to create a quality sound stage. I only sought out estimates from installers that had stellar, Yelp, Angie List, and Google reviews. It could be Lexus is not a car whose owners in general worry about the sound system. I would appreciate any input, suggestions, audio installers in NJ, and personal anecdotes you guys could share.

Hi Jason and welcome.

I love my music as well, and appreciate a quality system. My 2013 ES350 has the standard head unit and amp. I installed a small sub-woofer for the trunk, in order to fill and smooth out the low end.It made a world of difference. Using the limited 3 phase equalizer, I can adjust the tonal range for good listening.

I know the Mark Levinson is pricey, but for some one like you, an audiophile, I don't know that you will ever be happy. One thing to remember. The Levinson is a fully matched system. All speakers have matching cross-overs, The amplifier, head unit, and each of the 18 speakers cannot be replaced unless it has the same spec's as the OEM

Please come back Jason and let us know how things are going.

Paul

Hello Paul thank you for your feed back, and I will definitely inform on how this turns out. I imagine any solution will start with replacing the speakers and a sub, there's a natural bias when paying to replace what you don't like to say the solution was worth it. I will be as open minded as I can when drawing my final conclusions. But that's a long was away. I have to find the installer and agree to the solution. Finding someone reputable whose not going to knock me out er the head with the charges for equipment an installation will be half the battle. The installation rate is what it is, but the rate for equipment can vary 30 percent depending on if they're giving you msrp or discount prices. The process is much easier with champagne taste and budget versus champagne taste with a nice domestic wine budget!

Jason

Hello Paul thank you for your feed back, and I will definitely inform on how this turns out. I imagine any solution will start with replacing the speakers and a sub, there's a natural bias when paying to replace what you don't like to say the solution was worth it. I will be as open minded as I can when drawing my final conclusions. But that's a long was away. I have to find the installer and agree to the solution. Finding someone reputable whose not going to knock me out er the head with the charges for equipment an installation will be half the battle. The installation rate is what it is, but the rate for equipment can vary 30 percent depending on if they're giving you msrp or discount prices. The process is much easier with champagne taste and budget versus champagne taste with a nice domestic wine budget!

Jason

Hi Jason!

One thing I thought of after reading your thread, would be to do a search of our data base and maybe getting some information on what others have chosen for replacement speakers, amp's, and other components.

Paul