Ls 430 Cup Holder Assembly Replacement

2ton

I finally ordered an original cup holder assembly unit for my '04 LS 430 online as mine had one broken spring arm AND would not stay closed. It is extremely easy to replace! Only 2 tools needed- a phillips screwdriver and a cheap metal paint can opener, a 10 minute job!

1) Unscrew the gearshift knob counter-clockwise. Hand pressure only (1 minute).

2) Pop out the control switch panel using the paint can opener. Just lip the tool just under the plastic and pull straight out, left side then right side. leave the wire harness attached and move the box to the left side of the gearshift knob.

(this box sits on top of the front of the plastic wood grained panel and hinders its removal). (1 minute)

3) Push in the cup holder and lip the paint can tool under the right rear plastic panel and lift up. this light pressure will release the clip underneath. Then pop the left rear side, then pop the front right side. (no clip on the left front)

Lift the panel over the gearshift knob and hang to the right side (leave cigarette lighter wires attached)

(2 minutes- TAKE YOUR TIME AS THE ACCUMULATED CRUD AROUND THE PLASTIC NEEDS TO RELEASE AS WELL)

4) Now the cupholder is exposed, 4 black screws holding it in place. Remove the 4 phillips head screws and lift out the cup holder assembly. (2 minutes)

5) Screw in the replacement cup holder assembly, pop the plastic panel back down (finger pressure) and pop in the switch control panel box. Hand tighten the gearshift knob. (4 minutes).

DONE! 10 minutes max, unless you want to clean up the crud on the edges of the panels with a damp rag (warm water only)- add another 5 minutes.

Piece of cake! :D

• Like 1

The cup holder unit that I bought online was an exact original replacement. Spent $145, lowest I found for a new part replacement.

My cup holder would not stay down as it had worn a grove in the plastic by the metal pin. If you just need to replace a broken spring arm, it appears to be replaceable, held in by a screw underneath. You will still need to remove the assembly to get to the screw holding the spring arm.

• 9 months later...

The panel is held by push-in plastic clips. Pops out with upward pressure using the paint can tool (#3 instruction above).

You may need more force using tool, or try using 2 paint can openers on a corner of the panel, pulling up.

Mine had gunk around the edges of the panel, making it a bit harder to pop up.