I'm a first time member so please go easy if I'm breaching all kinds of protocol.

I recently bought a 2012 RX350 with low mileage, the third Lexus I have owned over many years. It came with the 19" wheels and still has the OEM Dunlop tires. Since I bought the car, it has become apparent that this car rides like a go-cart (even compared to my daughters CRV that I'm driving while she's overseas!) and I'm trying to decided how to approach this. Will replacing the OEM tires with Michelins make a dramatic difference? Should I consider replacing the 19" wheels with 18" wheels? Did I just buy the wrong vehicle?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

If you page back through the RX sub-forum for your model year range, you will find a number of threads about similar issues with ride quality.

The 2010-2015 RX350 is ... ahem ... a rather firm riding vehicle - something I noticed a lot when I test drove a 2014 RX350 F-Sport last year. (Maybe the local Lexus dealer shouldn't be near a bunch of bone jarring railroad crossings!)

One of the threads from not long ago said that excessive bounce in a particular RX350 turned out to be caused by leaking rear shocks. Another thread mentioned that Michelin Latitude tires provided a smother ride. One thread had a complaint about the ride quality with 18" wheels and tires.

I noted in one of these threads that the RX has a relatively short wheelbase that can cause a bit more forward and backward pitching on bumps than happens with a longer wheelbase vehicle. I've had a number of RX loaners over the years and the first thing I noticed is the back and forth pitching compared to an LS.

I've read on this forum and in the media that this series RX is known for reacting harshly when "over steered", i.e. turning too sharply - especially from a stop.

The first thing I would check is that the tire pressures are at the values shown on the driver door jam. Just a few excess pounds of pressure can make a big difference in ride quality. I can usually feel two pounds too much or not enough tire pressure in the seat of my pants. I use an electronic tire gauge at least once per month to check pressures or more often if outside temperatures change by much. I don't know offhand if your RX shows individual tire pressures on the dashboard display like some Lexus models do.

So ... check your tire pressures, check your shock absorbers and maybe see if you adapt to the ride qualities. And maybe head over to Tirerack.com and check the ride quality ratings for various models of tires and choose a more compliant riding tire for eventual replacements.

Thanks for the response.

I checked and adjusted the air pressure...better but still a "wooden" ride. The dealer checked the shocks...no problems. I was hoping to get some opinions on how likely it is that a change in tires will make a material difference...if not, I've got the wrong vehicle and should cut my losses.

By the way, this is an awd model.

I don't know if it is what you have now but Tirerack.com shows "Dunlop Grandtrek Touring A/S" as being an OEM Tire on the 2012 RX350 with 19" wheels. Its "Ride Quality" rating is 6.7 on a scale of 1 to 10.

Tirerack.com also lists the "Michelin Latitude Tour HP" as an OEM tire for the 2012 RX350 with 19" wheels. Its Ride Quality rating is 8.3 on a scale of 1 to 10.

I don't know how anyone can assure you that using tires with a higher ride quality rating will provide enough improvement to satisfy you.

The RX is the best selling Lexus worldwide so it must be very acceptable to most buyers. To some extent I think it is a matter of what you get used to.

• 3 weeks later...

Hello ..I just bought lexus rx350 with 80000km and felt the same problem first day. I have done few things and seeing improvement in the ride.

1. Tire pressure (nitrogen) in the dealership, they put 35 psi which I reduced to 32 psi

2. Added fuel line cleaner ($23) from the lexus dealership and added to the full tank. (they were nice even to add that for me)

3. Changed the gas to premium gas..which I am planning to continue for a while till engine sounds real smooth.

I have seen almost 75% improvement and also I have new MIchelin latitude touring P235/55 m+S tires.

I'm not sure if they load gasoline up with 10% alcohol in Ontario or not. I do know that in New York many stations now sell 91 without any alcohol. Two of my different vehicles gained 2mpg running the NA gasoline.

• 3 weeks later...

Problem solved. Every tire store rep, including lexus service states Dunlop's are a hard rubber that induces a higher road noise. Michelin's and Bridgestone are better tuned to the type of ride most RX riders want.

I purchased Michelin's latest new tire, the Premier LTX. There were limited customer reviews due to it's 2015 release. Read tire blogs and spoke with Tire Rack. They all praised this eco friendly tire.

WHAT A DIFFERENCE. Paid $214/tire. Currently a $70 rebate. Get rid of the Dunlops and shame on Lexus for putting these tires on. Guess they got a good deal from mfg.

Still RX350 is the best on the road and will hold their value.

Reply to Dsvetcov

I also Had Dunlops Tires on my 2010 rx 350 with 40000 Km. I will say those where the worst tires I've had had in my 40 years of driving :angry: now I purchased Michelin latitude tour P235/55/19 and so far so good.

Also in regards to your comment: Still RX 350 is the best on the road and will hold their value.

I went into my local Lexus that week to see they new 2016 a salesman approached me and asked me if I wanted to trade off my Rx 350 and the would give me top dollar for my :whistles:....

After viewing and test driving my 350 with no accident or any damage and as the dealership would say in showroom condition, after crushing some # with his Sales manger came back and offered $20,000.00 Canadian Dollars for his 2016 @ $76,000.00 that's a $46,000.00 Loss in 4 years :blink: I purchased my RX at the end of 2010, so Dsvetcov I have to disagree with your statement :chairshot:

• 2 weeks later...

So I got the new Michelin premier LTX tires today...and it's a different machine! I am still amazed that the Dunlops could so,totally trash the ride of this vehicle- and tha the Michelins so totally transform it. Expensive tires- and worth the money!

Great choice. Assume they were the 19's. I paid $235/tire installed, plus dealer gave me $80 trade-in of Dunlops and $70 Michelin rebate. Make sure you get the rebate from Michelin.

Agree night and day difference. Enjoy the ride.

I just bought a 2015 RX F-Sport, it has the Michelin Latitude tires, the tires were all filled to 35lbs. I lowered them to 32 even though the door panel shows 29lbs. I haven't driven it yet but I came from an LS460 which I thought was too soft of a ride.

I tested out the lower tire pressure last night, hwy, mountain roads and dirt road, ( all within in 10mi of me) and it did make a difference. Smoother and quieter though I suspect gas mileage will suffer a little. This is a brand new car and I don't understand why the dealership would put 35lbs in the tires when the door jam sticker says 29lbs, maybe for the gas mileage?!?!?

I thought about dropping the pressure to 30lbs but at 32 it feels fine.