Bluetooth Audio- 2005 Sc430

ChuckSC430

I "think" that the VAIS SL3B will provide A2DP audio streaming on your 2005 SC430: http://www.vaistech.com/site/sl3b.php

There may be other companies that have products that will work but VAIS has been around time and their products were commonly offered by Lexus dealers before Lexus vehicles came with similar interfaces from the factory.

I suggest that you contact VAIS and inquire before you buy. They may have other products that would be more appropriate for you.

• Like 2

If you don't find a reasonable solution directly from VaisTech for Bluetooth integration, I would recommend getting the VaisTech SL3U and then a stand alone Bluetooth adapter. I used Arion/Eagletech Bluetooth dongle which I specifially bought b'c it allows me to change track forward and reverse, change volume, and even make and take phone calls from a dongle without having to even touch my phone. I did, however, do a full media conversation... here's my build. http://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc430-2nd-gen-2001-2010/691835-dvdnav-media-integration-naviks.html

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

If I am understanding the capabilities of the two products correctly, the SL3B allow the display of song information on the nav screen and the use of the channel up/down buttons on the steering wheel to control music streaming from the phone. I don't think the SL3U with a Bluetooth receiver can do any of that. Please correct me if I am not understanding the capabilities.

I can't really answer that, I only had the option of the SL3U since I have a 2002. I don't know much about the SL3B or any reviews from anyone that has purchased one, sorry. But you are correct about my setup. I cannot change track via the wheel controls nor display track info on neither the NAV or radio. I will say one thing though, I doubt the SLB3 can display track info to the GPS Screen. Maybe the radio, but don't see how it can connect to the GPS screen. If you do journey down the SL3B path, please do a small DIY and review of your results. I would be really interested to see your thoughts on it.

Shawn, I think you are right about the VAIS SL3B not being able to display track information on the nav screen of the 2005 SC430. I looked at its 2005 SC430 owners manual and its navigation and audio are not much like other Lexus cars of the era.

What SL3B may do is to display limited information from the portable Bluetooth player or phone on the SC430 radio screen and allow limited control (e.g. skip tracks) using the steering wheel controls and the buttons on the radio that are normally used when playing CD's.

The SL3B uses CD emulation for the 2005 SC430 and may show on the SC430 radio screen as something like "CD2".

VAIS interfaces for most other 2001-up Lexus models with navigation allow artist, album and track information to be displayed on the navigation screen just like on newer vehicles from Toyota.

Edit: Per the VAIS SL3B user manual, it looks like "CD1" will be displayed on the 2005 SC430 radio display when the SL3B is in use.

Edit again: The SL3B application chart says Text = No for the 05 SC430 so there would be no song information displayed on the radio screen. It still might be nice to at least use the steering wheel controls to skip songs, e.g. while streaming from Pandora, assuming that it can do that.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

VAIS SL3B- Installed Today and Love it..

Nice integration, the mode switch on the steering wheel provides easy access- sound is great. 

Thank you to all who responded to my post.

Awesome Chuck, maybe you can give us a little review of it. Some of it's functions? When playing music from your phone via the bluetooth connection, does it display any track info? Do it say AUX on the text? What does pressing the next track on the radio do? What about next track on the steering wheel control? Are all other steering controls still functional? Are you able to accept phone calls? Does the SL3B have an aux input (RCA or 3.5mm), or is it only bluetooth? Thanks!

SL3B Review

Functions:

• All of the steering wheel controls work
  • Mode Switch toggles to "MD1"
  • They suggest placing your music in a 'playlist', but any configuration seems to work
  • The 'up-down' arrows on the steering column advances songs or Podcasts
  • Songs pause when there is a phone call and then resume
  • My model is bluetooth only- no USB/mini

There is no 'text display', here is a photo:

MD1.png.0862b86f70de20dac22e19bc0aed53f5

I am very pleased- that cassette adapter was driving me nuts.. 

22 hours ago, ChuckSC430 said:

SL3B Review

Functions:

• All of the steering wheel controls work
  • Mode Switch toggles to "MD1"
  • They suggest placing your music in a 'playlist', but any configuration seems to work
  • The 'up-down' arrows on the steering column advances songs or Podcasts
  • Songs pause when there is a phone call and then resume
  • My model is bluetooth only- no USB/mini

There is no 'text display', here is a photo:

MD1.png.0862b86f70de20dac22e19bc0aed53f5

I am very pleased- that cassette adapter was driving me nuts.. 

That's surprising since the VAIS application chart specifically says that the SL3B does CD emulation on the 2005 SC430 but instead it does Mini-disk emulation.

So much for trusting the application chart!  I'm glad it worked for you.  Adding Bluetooth sure makes an older vehicle seem more modern.

To rephrase Shawn's question, can you play phone call audio through your audio system now and how do you accept phone calls?  (e.g. Steering wheel controls, on the phone handset itself?)

"an you play phone call audio through your audio system now and how do you accept phone calls?"

- No change at all, phone works exactly the same

- NOTE: My iPhone now shows TWO Bluetooth connections ( I paired the VAIS independently)

- The VAIS only handles audio, the original CARMEDIA handles the phone.

Also- the chart that came with the unit shows "no text"  for the 2006-2009 SC430 in the matrix...

• 9 months later...