East Coast Washout

VBdenny

Virginia Beach, VA 02OCT2015 9:30AM

The weather here on the Virginia-Carolina coast is best described as downright nasty. Wind driven rain has intensified and street flooding was apparent in many areas. Predictions for the hurricane are certainly looking more positive as it appears to be trending more to the east, over the Atlantic. I did observe significant beach erosion due to high surf and higher than normal tides. For those of you who do not live on a beach, let me just say that sand is expensive to replace. Every year Virginia Beach spends millions to pump sand from the shipping channels, onto the beach. I also might add that those of us who own property on the beach pay about 1/2 again as much in property taxes to the "sand tax." Of course without the sand, we probably wouldn't have beach property, rather a good fishing spot.

I drove around a little this morning in my Corolla, 5 speed. Decided I needed new tires when I the car broke traction in both 1st and 2nd gear. A Corolla engine should not be able to break loose in second, even in rain. My Frontier's inspection expired yesterday and I didn't want to get my race car wet. At least I'm not going to work.

Enjoy your weekend, at least those of you elsewhere.

Denny