I have a 2001 rx300. Over the last few months the wheels seem to lock and the slip light comes on. This happens only when the car starts after a full stop. It happens about 20% of the time.

I have had the car checked and the car computer shows no problem. The car technician said it could be the wheel brake sensor or the transmission. The technician said it would be best to wait until something registers in the car computer and than proceed.

Your thoughts and suggestions.

Thanks.

My thought is tires. The light tells you that one of the tires is breaking traction, not locking in which case you would see the antilock brake indicator, Tires are everything and the older and more worn the tires, the more likely to slip Perhaps time for a visit to Tire Rack for a little research on new sneakers. Just ordered new tires for my Corolla because they did the same thing.

I would tend to agree with your mechanic - wait until the problem becomes more serious unless the vehicle is unsafe to drive.

Which wheels seem to be locking? One? All? Front? Back? Is this a FWD or AWD RX300?

If it is AWD and the all locking is at the rear, it could be a "transmission" issue as the "viscous coupling center differential" can act up. And like your mechanic said, the problem could be caused by a defective wheel speed sensor.

Is the mechanic able to reproduce the problem when he drives it? And is this a Lexus dealer mechanic or a mechanic who is familiar with the older Lexus RX?

Thanks for your comments.

I have new Michelin tires on the car, I do not think it is the tires.

The car is AWD and the noise is coming from the front of the car.

Cannot tell if the front right or left tire is locking.

Thanks Again.

PS - I did not go to Lexus, but a local mechanic.