Rx330 (2006) Spare Tire Hoist: Cable Snapped...replacement Or Quick Fi

Greetings fellow Lexus owners:

Proud owner of an '06 RX330, loved it since the day we drove it off the lot.

Here's my story. Had to change a flat this morning. First time I'd ever had to do it, so I was green to the process. The instructions said to turn the spare tire cover counterclockwise to release the tire. So there I am, turning and turning to no avail. Finally heard a snap and the tire fell. That couldn't be right. Sure enough, I saw the twisted and snapped end of the cable which was holding it up.

Geez.

Had I read the book just a little bit further, I would've realized that I had to lower it using the hoist mechanism within the trunk. Groan. Too late.

Question. The OEM replacement kit looks to be about $150(!!). Am I seeing this right? Does anyone know an aftermarket kit that's cheaper, or, better yet, has anyone been able to find a suitable cable and cable end piece to do the trick? After all, that's all I really need—a replacement cable.

Thanks so much for your time and would love to hear your thoughts.

-Greg

• 3 weeks later...

You could probably get one from your local used auto parts emporium, (junkyard) for about $5. If you don't want to get dirty, most yards will pull it for you for a few more $$.

Thanks jetfixer. I made a trip to the local Pick-A-Part over the weekend, but they didn't have any Lexus RX330s there. I'd never been to a junkyard before, so I didn't realize that I could've done a search for my vehicle before making a trek out there. I guess I'm going to have to save a search and constantly check to see if they ever get one in.

Meanwhile, just down the street from them was a Toyota junkyard, so I brought in my old hoist assembly and asked if they had one. Sure enough, they did, and they wanted—get this—$150 for a USED one. Such BS. I like how they said, "Okay, for you, my friend, $100." wtf.

So, in the meantime, a co-worker of mine took two hex nuts and smashed them onto the cable end with a sledgehammer, virtually crimping them down and finishing that end. I put them on and they don't budge, thankfully. But I've also secured the spare to the metal "bumpers" beneath the car with a couple of cambuckle straps just in case they ever do come loose.

I'll keep you updated if I ever do find a junk OEM part. Thanks again for your input.

• 7 years later...

I'm having the same problem but there isn't a Toyota junkyard by me. I'll see if one of my buddies can help me out with what you wrote softeject70. Thank you for the info!