What Year Of Lx470 Should I Buy 1998 To 2004

SaltySailorBoy

I have never owned a Landcruiser or LX470. I am considering a 1998-2004 or '05 or '06 LX470 but am wondering which years are best / worst or are they all great. Anything to watch out for? Will these vehicles really good 500K miles with out major work or is that asking way too much. Comments?

Thanks very much.

I guess it depends on your needs. If you need a truck for primary rough offroad style, LC 70/80/100 is probably the best (the 70 model is produced until now, they stopped the 80 and 100 production around the years you are looking for -- check Wikipedia for "Land Cruiser"). If you're looking for a truck for a highway/city, probably GX is better (at least for fuel economy).

Toyota and Lexus are very reliable but you never know if any major repairs may be needed. I cannot easily check a particular car for that. I guess even such reliable trucks as these may well run into major issues after 100k miles -- but looks like the probability of major issues is lower than with most other brands.

I've not owned an LC but many of my blokes (offroaders) still have those built in the 90's (mainly, diesel) and are very happy with them.

I've had a GX470 2005 before, no major issues save for "clunk" -- due to a defect in the rear drive shaft, every time you stop at an intersection, you feel as if someone smashed into your rear. This is repairable, however, and many in the US may have already arranged for that under warranty. The "clunk" should be on the top if you go to the GX470 thread in this forum.

I don't think you'll find many people who owned a LC/GX -- maybe best to look up in the forums designated to these models... Good luck!

• 3 months later...

I just bought my 2000 LX470 /w 167,000 on it for 10k...in May 2014. Everyone I speak with says I got a great deal on her...plus I have been offered 15k for already. I love it but gas mileage suck getting like 14 city/17 highway. The only issue I have had was the infamous ignition switch shaft broke. That was a simple repair. The only thing I suggest when you pick one, beside your normal routine checks is to make sure you can drop your spare tire...lol check my post from today.

• 3 months later...

I'm new here and have learned to look out for a couple of things when buying LX 470 since I've had 2- '99 and '04 and they are: rust under the hood from salt water like in Florida or snow as in up north. Check the Carfax and # of owners. The lower the miles the better. Hope this helps.

• 4 months later...

I bought a 1996. I loved that car. Best looking interior and exterior colors they have ever had. It was the white with that cashmere button. The inside was not too light like now and not dark.  Kind of a light milk chocolate which looked great with the darker leather on the doors etc. bought a lx470 2003 only because my two Goldens were getting older and jumping out the car was not good. The 2003 dropped down. Still have the 2003 has 121,000 miles. Both amazing cars. 1996 went thru tires ever 30,000 get way better on the 2003. Waited to buy a new one. I hate the front end. Do not want to own the Batmobile.  Not happy with price tag, but this is the perfect SUV for me and my now three Goldens. 2003 has a small floor space. Bought a Toyota Highlander 2008 due to milage. It has tons of floor space in second seat. I can only get white. Makes a huge difference on the car temp. No idea why black interior is so popular. The lighter interior is light and does not age well. But this vehicle is great. Only problem I have had with the vehicle was dealer related. Had to take it closer to home due to surgery. Stay away from Valencia Lexus. 2000.00 later awful detail job. Let wet mats in vehicle I mean wet. Was there a few days. Picked up car put in gas really bad smell. They were so wet sitting in car smelled. Took it back few months later due to surgery. Told me I needed a front light assembly. I was leaving out of town could not wait. So only drove during day. Floor mats still in garage. Took it in. Next thing they called said needed new transmission and car would not start. I had just driven it over the night before. Told them not to move it this was strange. I get there, use their jumper car does not start. Then I notice noting at all is on. AAA gets there. He can't start it. Battery was drained. I called Glendale Lexus amazing used since first Lexus. I ask about zero signs of any transmission issues. The car not stating. I have it towed there. Valencia Lexus blew every single fuse in the car, every single one. The guy at Glendale said they had to have had the positive and negative switched jump starting and must have tried to turn it on multiple times for all the fuses to go.  No transmission needed, now a year later still perfect, headlight just needed a new one.i did not need the 1400 other thing they did either.  600.00 later for all new fuses. They recharged the battery.  So cars do very well. Dealer who had a eputation. But it was always the sales dept you heard about not the parts. Boy was I shocked. Other than brakes and tires not counting Valencia I have never had to do anything major on the cars.