Is250/350 F Sport Seat Back Pain

I used to drive a BMW 330 and I never experienced lumbar pain. Last year, I bought an IS F sport and every time I drive the IS I am uncomfortable. Somehow, the way the sports seat grabs you around your ribs and by your legs, it makes driving very uncomfortable, shooting pain from my lumbar to my left leg. The pain is never the same, it moves from left to right every time I'm driving my car. I have to keep moving the seat position all the time. The lumbar support exists but you barely feel it, it doesn't make any difference at all.

I am an active guy! I swim every day, I walk and sometimes I run and experience no pain at all but every time I drive my car for more than two minutes, the pain is there. I had a guest the other day, and we drove 50 miles and then he said "This seat is hurting the middle of my back...very stiff, not comfortable".

Last month I drove 1500 miles over a 24-hour period in a NISSAN VERSA AND I HAD NO PAIN AT ALL. A month later, I drove a Lexus NX about 1600 miles and I had no pain at all.

But every time I go to the pool to swim which is just about 10 miles, the moment I sit in that car, I start to feel pain.

Please share your story!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Had exactly the same problem not uncommon. I have solved it by unzipping the seat back and stuffing memory foam and felty stuff in two places 1. Around the hips and 2. just below the shoulder baldes. Diagrams and the reasons why your lumber is hurting is explained by googling "yoga back driving" it has an explanation of where the bolstering should be. You dont have to buy the product you can achieve the same results by reshaping the seat by stuffing things in. Once you have opened the back up and undone everything leave it like that for a week and you can keep adjusting till it feels right.

It has completely alleviated the pain and I was in agony and was going to sell it for that reason.

let me know how you get on.

• Like 1

I just leased an IS 250 2015 Lexus and the seat is killing my back!!! I have an old back injury in my upper back (compression fracture). Prior to the Lexus, I drove a Chrysler 200 for 3 years and had no issues what so ever. I have no idea on what I can do - I know I cannot drive this vehicle for 3 year with such severe back pain!!! Anyone have any suggestions?

As above worked for me if you don't want to undo the back of the seat you can just order the yoga back product I can't get it as I'm in New Zealand let me know how you get on

Just came off a 1500 something mile trip in my IS250. While I will say that these are not the most comfortable seats, they really were okay. Not nearly as comfortable as those in either my 97 Silverado or 01 Frontier which is pretty sad. There are a few support points that I am not able to adjust perfectly on my IS. These are not the cars to buy for comfort obviously.

• 1 year later...
On 12.10.2015 at 1:08 AM, kiwi2 said:

Had exactly the same problem not uncommon. I have solved it by unzipping the seat back and stuffing memory foam and felty stuff in two places 1. Around the hips and 2. just below the shoulder baldes. Diagrams and the reasons why your lumber is hurting is explained by googling "yoga back driving" it has an explanation of where the bolstering should be. You dont have to buy the product you can achieve the same results by reshaping the seat by stuffing things in. Once you have opened the back up and undone everything leave it like that for a week and you can keep adjusting till it feels right.

It has completely alleviated the pain and I was in agony and was going to sell it for that reason.

let me know how you get on.

HI,

I have similar problem with lumbar pain shooting sometimes mostly to my right leg and your post brought a faith in resolving this issue successfully. I have just opened my seat back and started to stuff it with memory foam (bought few pieces of different type, toughness, flexibility etc.. Could you please send a picture how you did this, I mean how much of the foam you stuffed in certain places and what was its toughness, uphoslsterers use differnt types which vary mostly with tougness of foam. Did you struggled with the vent mounted in the back ? Did you remove this for the time of adjusting things in ? I would apprciate any details you can share.

Thank you

Adam

Hi Adam

I resolved this problem well and   2 years later and its very comfortable. I finally bought a high quality sheepskin seat cover then I put one piece of memory foam 12 inches wide and 3 foot long which I placed vertically on the seat upright then another piece of memory foam horizontally across the bottom of the seat upright and put the sheepskin cover over the top. The memory foam was between the seat and the sheepskin cover. I then didn't need to stuff anything in the seat itself as in the end I didn't want to interfere with the airbag and I couldn't get it perfect and  it works wonderfully. It was also easy to adjust to the best position which I haven't touched in 2 years. I haven't had an issue since and being sheepskin it's also warm and you don't slide around either. The memory foam was about an inch thick.

O and to secure the memory foam at the top I took the headrest off put the memory foam there then punched thru the foam with the headrest to hold it in place at the top. For the bottom I tucked the foam between the upright of the seat and the seat bottom. 

18 hours ago, kiwi2 said:

Hi Adam

I resolved this problem well and   2 years later and its very comfortable. I finally bought a high quality sheepskin seat cover then I put one piece of memory foam 12 inches wide and 3 foot long which I placed vertically on the seat upright then another piece of memory foam horizontally across the bottom of the seat upright and put the sheepskin cover over the top. The memory foam was between the seat and the sheepskin cover. I then didn't need to stuff anything in the seat itself as in the end I didn't want to interfere with the airbag and I couldn't get it perfect and  it works wonderfully. It was also easy to adjust to the best position which I haven't touched in 2 years. I haven't had an issue since and being sheepskin it's also warm and you don't slide around either. The memory foam was about an inch thick.

Hi, 

Tank you for response. As I understood you did not manage to adjust your seat perfectly by stuffing foam in or only potential risk of interfering with airbags was the only reason you dropped this solution ? I am in the middle of adjusting the seat and still no success however o would like this solution  as in the end original shape of seat will be kept. And to the sheepskin cover...could you make a picture of it how it looks like ? Where to buy it ? I live in Poland eastern Europe and not sure whether i will be able to buy it somewhere.

Greets

Adam

Hi Adam

Hi

Could you confirm if it was really impossible to adjust your seat with foam with seatback unzipped ? I do not know if to drop this solution. Could you share with picture of the sheepskin cover ? Where to get this ?

• 4 months later...