Transmission - Shifter Moves With No Resistance At All When Release Is

maryhadit

Trans again!

"01" RX300 - I was driving normally and I could feel the trans slipping slightly. I immediately stopped and checked the usual- color, smell and level. nothing wrong with any of the above! I turned it off and than on again. I was able to get it home, after two more instances and put it on jacks. there was a whirling sound coming from below that I could hear under the hood. I new it was probably the pump starving for fluid. I reveiwed your forum for possable solutions, and went with dropping the pan and cleaning and replacing filter, sensors etc. I put it back on the road and everything worked well for aproximately 200 miles.

Today the car was driven normally to and from an appointment, no problems until I go to B/U into my drive and there is no resistance with the shifter when I try to change to reverse! It was immediately ovious that there was NO connection between the shifter and transmission, in any position, P-N-D. it just glides to any gear but no response at all n trans!

I am one person thet does not believe in coincidenses! But in this instance I don't feel that it is related to the fluid deprivation because of a clogged filter. Does it make any sense to anyone out there?

I have reviewed the forum and checked my Haynes manual. There isn't any referance to this problem. short of pulling the dash and a/c vents or whatever. is there a simple solution? like maybe I can get into the shifter mechanism fron inside at the console and find linkage that broke or wore out? thats what it feels like! as if they were completely disconnected.

I hope that someone is monitoring this site. As I simply love my Rx and need to get it back on the road asap. needless to say, this is the only (or was) reliable auto that I have.

Thank you from an oldtime backyard mechanic that could use some help! : (

Success!

I hadn't heard from anyone from this site and there was no referance in any books, so I got down and dirty!

I began by taking the glove box out. Next, I had to get the wood trim from around the shifter off, than the skirt on the floor around the shifter. Once that was removed. It was obvious why I couldn't shift! there was No connection between the shifter and the transmission. The rubber grommet and push-on washer, had disintergrated. The connection between the two lay flying in the wind! lol...

This was the easiest fix that I had ever done! I spoke to a couple shops and was informed to evan check the linkage. the service charge started at $500. The dash would need to come out. the a/c condenser, blah blah blah! that was just to see what was wrong. Not the cost of the repair!

So this was a coinsidence that had nothing to do with the slipping trans. Thanks everyone for reviewing my dilemma! and if this problem should arise on your RX300. Feel at ease to take care f it yourself! ; )

Thanks, Maryhadit, for sharing an update. Others who encounter issues with a transmission -- from what I know, Lexus dealers operate the problem identification/solving procedures as per a "repair manual" -- which is specific for each car model/year built. If you get a repair manual for your car, this may be a great info source