Outside Mirror Tilt Adjustment For '06 Rx330

Does anyone know if there is a way to adjust how much the outside mirrors tilt down when the car is shifted into reverse? I have looked in the Owners Manual and I can't find anything that addresses this. I feel like there must be some adjustment since sometimes the mirrors tilt a lot and sometimes they tilt just a little.

I have tried shifting the car into reverse and letting the mirrors tilt and then adjusting the mirrors with the adjustment controls to the preferred tilt angle, but they didn't retain the memory and went back to the previous tilt settings.

Your questions is especially interesting to me since I recently tried setting the reverse tilt mirror angle into memory on my 2014 Toyota Sienna Limited using instructions in the 2015 Sienna owners manual that apply only to the Sienna Limited. The procedure to set the reverse mirror angle did not work on my 2014 Sienna Limited and no one on the Sienna Chat forum can get it to work on their 2015 Sienna Limiteds either. I was hoping that this would be an undocumented feature on my 2014 Sienna.

I doubt that the feature you want is on the 2006-2009 RX but I would not be surprised if it was available on the current RX.

Maybe the reason that your mirrors are not tilting a consistent amount is that they have sometimes been adjusted at different angles I think the tilt-down angle is fixed and the same position regardless of how the mirror is adjusted.

Since I'm mainly concerned with getting the right side mirror to tilt further down, the workaround I use is to leave the mirror selector switch on "R" (Right) and then to press the "down" portion of the mirror adjustment switch to further lower the right side mirror from its reverse tilt position. It's not the best solution and sometimes I have to do it more than once when parallel parking but at least it allows me to see how far the right rear tire is from the curb.

Our Prius v wagon has the self parking feature which we never use due to it being so small and easy to parallel park. It would be wonderful if our Sienna had the self parking feature since it can be a bear to parallel park even with its reverse camera and front and rear parking sensors.

Jim,

Thanks again for your input. Sometimes I think that you and I are the only ones that reply on the forum.

Your analysis is reasonable except that I noted the inconsistent tilt when I was the only one driving the car and knew that I had not adjusted the mirrors. It is possible that there is a problem with the memory portion of the mirror, which I am not going to attempt to fix. The car is now 150 miles away with my daughter, so an in depth analysis is not possible. I was hoping, like you, that there was an undocumented procedure for adjusting the amount of tilt.

• 3 months later...

I also need to replace my mirror as the glass broke but the arm is intact....I have a 2005 RX330 and was wondering if you found anything out about just replacing the glass. I have looked online and can only find the entire arm unpainted. I will buy that and try to use just the glass like you did so I don't have to have it painted. Was it simple to do?

Cary,

I replaced the entire mirror except for the painted shell.

What I found when I removed the mirror that was on the car was that it had previously been replaced with an after-market mirror, which happened to be the exact same brand that I had ordered from eBay. I was able to replace all of the "guts" of the old mirror with the guts of the new mirror. I was able to retain the painted shell from the old mirror, and thus not have to paint the new one. What I found in doing all of this is that the OEM mirror glass mounting configuration and motor assembly are completely different than the after-market mirror that I bought, so the parts are not interchangeable.

If the only issue that you have is a broken mirror glass, then I would suggest contacting your Lexus dealer, checking your local junk yard, or looking for one on eBay. There are several videos on Youtube that show you how to get the glass out. You should probably do that first to determine if your mirrors are heated or not.

Good luck.

• 2 years later...

I think I have a solution for this problem,  I  own a Lexus rx400h  (2008) and when you put the car in reverse with the brakes on adjust each side of the mirrors , up down and sideways then go to the driver's control panel, Then before you put the car in drive, recheck the settings of the steering wheel and the power seat positioning,  then go to the driver's door and reset the driver's memory button for driver 1 or 2. Once you set it for the main driver then reset everything for the second driver the same as the first driver using the number 2 on the door when saving the new adjustments for the second driver. Make sure that when a different driver drives the car that they touch just the number 1 or 2 to change the settings back to the one who will be driving.