06 Is250 Power Steering

bellaMC87

I was in the drive thru and my ac smelled bad, my battery light cut on so I cut the ac off then the battery light cut off. I pulled off after I got my food only to my surprise I could barely move the steering wheel. I made it home and my car completely died! Any ideas what it could be? I checked the alternator belt it's still on there.

I was in the drive thru and my ac smelled bad, my battery light cut on so I cut the ac off then the battery light cut off. I pulled off after I got my food only to my surprise I could barely move the steering wheel. I made it home and my car completely died! Any ideas what it could be? I checked the alternator belt it's still on there.

Hi Marige and welcome to the LOC.

That is an interesting problem! But first, I'm sure members who are much more knowledgeable will jump in here throughout the day with better help.

First, the steering is not run off a belt such as the alternator. Instead, it is powered by electricity. I think that is why you had such a hard time steering your car. It's possible the battery has gone bad, slowly losing power until you got home and it went completely dead. One other possibility, and I think this is unlikely, A large fuse on top of the alternator went bad.

Please keep checking your post throughout the day and see what others would say.

Paul

I rather like the electric assist steering on mine. Very responsive. A battery that is heading south can cause all kinds of issues. I guess we all have something to learn about electric steering though.