Low Mileage 2008 Es350

Travelmench

I was looking for a low mileage ES350, debating the pros and cons of a 2013 new model style vs the old style 2012, when a dealer specializing in high end imports put me on to a 2008 with 24,000 kilometers ( that's 15,000 miles). He claims that the mileage is accurate, and it was owned by a doctor who drove a Highlander everywhere he needed to go. He convinced me that it was a great deal even at $18,800 Canadian, and that it would last me for years trouble free because it was a Lexus and had such low mileage. There are some minor scratches on the bumper, but otherwise its immaculate inside and out. Looking through the forums, I see that people do have problems with their cars. Anyone out there who has some experience with old but low mileage Lexuses? On one hand, I think I may have hit the jackpot; on the other, I wonder if this was really a sweet deal. I love the way the car rides and handles.

• Like 1

Hi Barry and welcome to the LOC.

Anyone buying a car, new or pre-owned, has a degree of anxiety because for most folks it is a major expenditure. The 08' ES is an excellent car from both design, superior engineering and Consumer Reports rating as the most reliable auto in the USA.

It is a reviewed and published fact, that Lexus autos easily run to 150,000 miles.

The only suggestion I would make to you, instead of looking at the 08 ES, but instead check out the new 2015. It is an incredible machine. But I think you would be very happy with either one.

Ask to look at the service records. Any Lexus dealer will gladly do this.

Paul

I think the major factor is, which one can you afford. Of course I would always prefer a brand spanking new car.

I had a car I showed. It stayed in the garage for sometimes years at a time. Things break and wear out whether your are driving it or not. Seals and rubber pieces dry out etc. just because it has low mileage doesn't mean the parts are like brand new.

JMHO

• 4 weeks later...

I bought my 2004 ES330 in 2007 with 17,000 miles (27,379 klicks) and now with 115,000 it is still perfect. With reasonable and regular maintenance, they last a long time. My neighbor now owns my 1990 LS400 and even with 25 years and over 200,000 miles on the clock it is still great. I've never been a front wheel drive car type of guy so the ES wasn't my favorite but it still is a great car.