VBdenny

So my car has these paddle shifters that I really never played with much. Lately, when I have been using them when I'm having fun (which is often) on back roads. While not nearly as exciting as a traditional manual shift, it is an okay compromise for fun. I do like that you can hold the engine in the higher RPM range which makes the exhaust give that nasty growl.

The paddles do shift very quickly unlike the "slapstick" shifter we had in a Chrysler 300 we had which took about 3 seconds to respond. The Lexus semi-automatic responds almost (not quite) instantly. Of course my first experience with paddle shifter was on my PS3 GT5 game. Interestingly enough, driving my IS is very much like a video game. Sometimes a challenge to remember it is real.

I use them on mountain roads, usually to get moderate engine braking on long downhill sections, quite useful. The Benz C250 Sport package plus has paddle shifters too.

With moonroof open and a heavy foot in lower gears (accessed via paddles), the F-sport exhaust on my IS sounds wicked too.

I really do like the sound of the pipes at full throttle. The shifters take a little to get accustom to using but really are much fun. As a professional seeker of fun I suggest trying them. They are only useful on twisties but still fun.