Tire Rub

chocker

Hi,

I had my rear shocks replaced last year (Both sides) by a lexus dealership so oem parts. I had my summer wheels on and there were no problems. I put on my winter rims and tires which were stock size (225-70-16) and I heard rubbing sounds. I chalked that up to winter tires being a bit noisey. Then when I changed the wheels for the summers recently, I noticed that the right rear tire was grinding on the shock and went through the paint of the shock and grinded off the lettering of the tire. The left side there was only slight rubbing. I had changed the rear rotors and pads but used only OEM parts from Lexus ( a little anal about that). Would anyone have any reason for this to happen. Would spacers work just on the rear and if so what size of spacer would be acceptable. Would this create a problem with the offset of the front vs. the rear wheels?

Thanks,

Mark

You may have a wheel bearing going bad....maybe? Is there any wobble on the tire when you raise the vehicle on jack stands....Should be none.....

I'm not near the vehicle right now but wouldn't it do the same thing with the summer wheels and tires as well? There seems to be no noise what so ever. As I said before, the winter tire/wheels are the same size as the summers. Maybe since they are heavier, they may move around a little more if there was a bearing issue.

Mark

Your snow tires are probably same size, but the side walls don't react the same. I would still check for wheel bearing play...but the only other thing would be suspension bushings that are aging and causing a little sag....

What bushings specifically would cause this? I will be jacking it up and check for wheel play. What do bearings and bushing kits run approximately. I am a DIYer so I can install them and save some money on labor. I assume I would need a realignment after as well.

Mark