'10 Rx 450H - 42K Mi - Oygen Sensor-Check Engine Lightt

check engine ight came on. Dealer said $500-800 to fix.

Do I need to fixthis? Light was turned of at dealer - has not come back on in 100 m iles.

I see you are in Colorado. Were you at high altitude when the light came on? I would wait until it comes on again. Does Colorado have regular emissions checks when you update your registration?

Bruce. I was a mile high(Denver) and this vehicle is not subject to emissions tests.

Light has not come back on and the dealer has not called me to let me know the replacement part is in.

Running just fine.

Money grab? Oh, sir, you may need to replace your catalytic converter at a much higher cost!

Bruce. I was a mile high(Denver) and this vehicle is not subject to emissions tests.

Light has not come back on and the dealer has not called me to let me know the replacement part is in.

Running just fine.

Money grab? Oh, sir, you may need to replace your catalytic converter at a much higher cost!

Unlikely a money grab, IMO. After all, the vehicle recorded the code, unless you believe the vehicle conspired with the dealer. Oxygen sensors are electronic devices in a very hot and high vibration environment, are subject to momentary failures (likely in your case) and do degrade over time. A momentary glitch can also be caused by water in the fuel or just a bad batch of fuel (high ethanol content). Typically they last over 100k miles. If you have zero trust and faith in your dealer, you can get your own ODB reader the next time a "check engine" light comes on and check the code for yourself, even clear most codes yourself to see if they recur. The dealer could have told you if it was a recorded fault or an active fault (since it cleared, it was not active at the time), but since most people do not know the difference, they probably don't bother.

Thank you, Bruce.

I'll see if the light comes back on but can you tell me the downside of ignoring it?

The oxygen sensor is one of several critical components in an emission control system. Feedback from the sensor can actually affect air flow, fuel flow, temperature control, engine load control, etc. Therefore, faulty readings or a failed sensor can cause an increase in fuel consumption, loss of power, dirty injectors, valve damage, piston damage, bearing failures, destruction of the catalytic converter. With modern electronically controlled engines, it is usually a good idea to keep all systems working within specifications. In California, with its strict emission controls and bi-annual mandatory checks (except on hybrids), cars are kept working in good condition for longer, and smog days in Los Angeles have been reduced from over 150/year (most lasting all day) to under 100 per year (with many alerts lasting for 1 hour or less) even though the reporting standards have become far more strict. Most of the ozone and particles are now coming from non-automotive sources. How is Denver doing?

Bruce, Denver is much improved and the BROWN CLOUD is a rare occurence anymore. Obviously these controls are working and our kids will live longer and breathe easier.

Will take care of that sensor if it continues to be an issue. Thank you for the detailed explanation. Much better than GOOGLE!