Hey All,

I'm looking for the secret to removing the lock actuator from my 2004 SC. I removed the door handle and had the entire assembly loose in the door, but there seemed to be no way to get it out! Does the window need to be removed? If so, how? I'd be grateful for any help.

Oh, if you happen to be looking at replacing the actuator motor, you might try repairing it as follows (this might look hard, but if you have to replace it anyway, you might give it a shot):

1. Pry open the plastic actuator box carefully
  2. Remove the motor (it pulls up from connection prongs), pull off the worm gear
  3. Test it with 12v applied. If it doesn't go or is jerky...
  4. Pry up the 2 small metal tabs that hold on the white plastic end of the motor
  5. Pull the plastic end off and carefully remove the rotor (part that goes around)
  6. Spray off all parts with electrical cleaner or you can use alcohol
  7. Inspect the brushes (the small spring-loaded contacts that rub against the rotor). If they have life left in them, continue on...
  8. The split ring of the motor is a copper cylinder split into 3 pieces. My motor had gunk (technical term for stuff) filling the spaces between the 3 pieces of the split ring. Examine yours for same (I have a nifty disecting microscope, but you can do the same w/a magnifying glass).
  9. Carefully run an exacto knife or single edge razor blade down the three grooves between the split rings until they are cleaned out completely (more alcohol or cleaner here)
  10. Reassemble the motor. Be careful as you put the plastic end with the brushes on--the brushes must be alternately moved back as the motor shaft is turned (and back and forth and back...)
  11. Bend the 2 metal tabs back in place.
  12. Test it out with 12volts.
  13. Reassemble the worm gear then the module--be careful of the small pin that holds the gears in allignment

When I did this, I didn't have much hope, but a lot of time. To my surprise the motor went from a pulsating piece of junk to a smooth-running motor again. I guess the motor is available as a replacement for about $15, but judging from the wear on the brushes of mine, there is a lot of life left in it.