98 Ls400, Hit Pothole And Lower Ball Joint Snapped

arrocha87

So lower ball joint snapped on passenger wheel. Had no control of it and arm was dragging on inside of wheel. Limped home and jacked up. Now what to do? What am I looking at to replace ball joint?

image.jpg

image_1.jpg

IF you have good tools and a good place to work then you could. Of course it is probably a good idea to watch several videos on the procedure before starting. It is imperative that you use quality safety stands to do this or you could die or be a para.

Go to a junkyard and remove the same (undamaged) part from a scrapper. Not only is this the cheapest method but you will have the benefit of now knowing HOW to remove the part. You can't damage a car at a junkyard. Or....

Buy the new lower control arm with the new ball joint attached and install. I do know you need special tools for this job but I also know Auto Zone will lend them to you for free. Not a terribly difficult job other than the muscling of parts.

IF you take it somewhere expect to pay between $500 and $800 to have it done for you.

Good luck with the rig.

Denny

dont panic, the lower ball joints just bolt on, they are less than 100. each from south atlanta lexus..

less than 100 for both from Parts Marvel Grand Rapids Mi. sales@partsmarvel.com

they look like this

post-5365-0-82805400-1427553980_thumb.jp

post-5365-0-73434300-1427553992_thumb.jp

post-5365-0-29504800-1427554003_thumb.jp

my nephew put my LBJ's in today and now I am safe again

the old ones were so loose I could move them with my fingers

let me ADD: new SRB's, BJ's and tightening up the upper strut mounting nuts (under the rubber caps in the engine compartment) has made my front end COMPLETELY silent again, like new... so pleasant to drive with NO noise/sounds... I got that strut/nut info off this forum or the CL forum.. dont overlook that.

post-5365-0-24999900-1428027942_thumb.jp

post-5365-0-31440200-1428027964_thumb.jp

Are tierod outter ends worth getting stock? Or can I use some autozone pieces? I got the oem lower ball joints coming.

I've read that some ppl use the Moog outer tie rod ends with no problem. I actually have them sitting in my Amazon cart for when I'm ready to order them.