New To The Ls400 Looking If Anyone Could Give Me Some Advice

LS IV HUNNID

just bought a 91 ls400 60k miles 1900$

my front air suspension was starting to sag on the driver side when the car is off......... normally it would restore to full ride height when i started it but now it wont...........

was also wandering if the 1st gen and 2nd gen suspension is compatable? what are some preventive maintenance for the ls400?

Thanks guys!

Some of the early LS400 cars had air suspension. Probably fantastic when new but like any other bag, they eventually leak. I know people have switched to conventional but not sure what it encompasses. I do know I often see 1990> LS400's in the junkyard so I would think the parts are readily available and inexpensive. Of course you would also learn how to remove the parts on a junk car, not your own. If you bought that 91 with only 60,000 miles for $1900, you about stole it anyway. Nice find.

Front or rear driver's side? On the early ('90-94 cars) Rear driver's side would be matter of finding a used air strut for that corner. Fronts (right/left) interchange; rears are specific to that corner.

As for the conversion kits out there, probably the best bet for the proper Lexus ride would be to find a set of used, low-mile OEM strut assemblies from a non-air ride car. As far as aftermarket stuff goes: In my experience, the Strutmasters setup has a slightly high ride height (okay, it feels like about the equivalent of the air setup on 'high'). They ride a bit firmer (supposedly their springs are made by Eibach), but I'm good with that. The rear shock inserts on mine failed quickly, but KYB Excel Gs have been a good pairing with the Strutmaster springs.

FWIW, I recently came across a full set of the Strutmaster replacement struts in a pick-a-part yard in central Iowa on a '92 LS.

Suncore's springs feel a bit on the wimpy side, but are probably a closer match to the OE ride.

If it were me, I'd check car-part.com and the usual auction site for a used air strut and change it out.

Paul

'93 LS and '94 LS 5th Anniversary

If it's a matter of a leaking or failing air bag (which sounds like your case), no. FWIW, a decent used air strut will typically run $100-150, depending on condition, and the fronts are quite easy to change out.

If it's an electronic issue with the suspension, yes, sorta.

Paul

Being that your in Hawaii getting parts might be an issue as far as cost. Any used air strut you buy will most likely be on borrowed time. You don't want to buy one and then another one goes out. That can add up quickly. I would just swap them out for coils or spring/shock combo and be done with it. here are some tutorials.

http://www.lextreme.com/ascon.htm

http://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls400/565592-diy-90-94-ls400-front-air-suspension-removal-air-struts.html

conversion kit

https://www.arnottindustries.com/part_LEXUS_yid7_pid46.html

http://www.strutmasters.com/products/1990-2000-lexus-ls400-4-wheel-air-suspension-conversion-kit-tc14f/

Or you can just go with the stock shock spring combo. There are multiple options.

I am also a new Lexus LS400 Owner. It is a 1990 with 180,000 miles on it with only 2 owners. I have a question about the rpms. When I am doing 70 mph the rpms are 2500. I would like to know if thats normal. I am sorry that I hijacked your post but for some reason the video on how to start a topic is not working. Thanks for any advice.

Hey Nate, no, that is high like in 3rd gear. Check the overdrive button on the transmission shifter.

On the other dude in Hawaii with the crapped out air suspension. Go to a junkyard and buy the original suspension out of the same year as yours. They never wear out and you ain't building a watch.

Thanks for the info. The bad thing is the overdrive button is the first thing I checked, and its on. I am hoping nothing serious is going on. Have you ever heard of this problem before?