Newbie '09 350 Owner Saying Hi & Asking Tire Choice Question

Hi,

Newbie Canadian owner of a used '09 350 here (well, it's really my wife's) saying hello. We bought an '09 350 last fall. It came with winter tires. Those were installed shortly after bringing it home and the original Michelin Energy tires were done so they got tossed. I'm going to have to remove the winter tires soon. So for my first question, I'm looking for advice/experiences from other owners on summer rubber choices.. If there's an existing tire thread, I'd appreciate a link please. Search doesn't really narrow it down. If there isn't one, here's where I'm at...

Although I'm in a border city, the recent decline in the CAD and rise in the USD have pushed US prices out of reach. I've been buying from Tire Rack for years, saving me thousands. Not so anymore. Canadian prices, although much higher than those in the US (in local dollars), are now, in most cases when converted to CAD, competitive with the US prices. It hasn't been like that for a very long time. We're on a budget so $1k per set choices are off the table. For U.S. readers, add about 40% to US prices and you'll get a sense of the prices I'm looking at.

Example: 4 Pirelli Scorpion Verde from Tire Rack are $610 USD incl shipping to my US shipping address. That's $950 CAD after exchange & taxes at the border and local installation. The best local price I can find is just over a $1000 CAD all in.

Having done some window shopping and review reading, I'm looking at Continental TrueContact or General Altimax RT43 tires. Both are rated 102T, while the OE Michelin Energy tires were 101S. I can get the Continentals for $660 (on sale this week) and the Generals for $610, all in. Those are passenger tires. When I look at Tire Racks lising of Crossover/SUV tires, prices rise to $850 and over. But why run those when the OE tires were passenger tires? My priorities are comfort, noise, wet traction. As mentioned earlier, there's no need to winter traction as I already have winter rubber.

Any advice you may have would be very much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Comment check the weight rating of the passenger tires SUV much heavier especially 4 wheel drive! My experience withtwo brands Michelin and Bridgwstone

Bridgestone Alenza Plus nearly as Quiet and comfortable as Michelin at $150 USD savings

Hi Mark and welcome to the LOC.

Of all the topics and questions posted on the sight, proper tires and what is the best gas mileage for my car, top the list.

I think all of us are trying to get the best performance, but not at a price that makes you live in that car.LOL

We are just over 10,000 miles on our 2013 RX 350. The OEM tires are Dunlop, Grand Track Touring-A/S. They are the 19" inch size. So far the performance of the tires has been good. They are not too firm nor are they to soft. Traction and stoping in snow, ice, rain is excellent. But, like you, I prefer a smooth quite ride. I've found out that an auto that weighs as much as the RX and has a stiffer suspension, is never going to be exactly what I would prefer. My wife loves them.

On my 2013, ES350, I have always used Michelin Primacy tires. They are great. Very quite, smooth as silk, and good traction even in light to moderate snow. Most Lexus dealers today will match any price that you can find. However, you do have to get an estimate from another supplier to prove your claim.

In the past I used to believe that any tire brand our style of tire would be the best for it's particular car. Not so. On all three of my ES I have dealt with the dealer to exchange the OEM for the Michelin.

Come back and let us know how things turn out.

Paul

Continental tires consistently rate at or near the top of Consumer Reports' ratings. The bonus is they are priced below many other high-performing brand tires. I've owned quite a few of various models of Continental tires and they have never disappointed me. All were/are very quiet with respectable handling characteristics. Our last two sets of tires on the RX are Yokohama Parada-X. These have been great tires, as well.

I am wondering if anyone can tell me how big you can go without installing spacers on 400h? I just purchase the 400h and already have 245/60/18 with Nitto rubber and loved the ride but am uncertain if there is clearance for them in the rx? Anyone tell me, thanks,