Trouble With Mt 2000 Es 300

My ES 300 has 123,000 miles, hadn't drove it since Christmas & ran fine then, today I started to drive it & the CEL light & VSC light came on & it has a rough idle, I pulled the code & it says code 1354, mfg. ignition control or a misfire, dosen't say which cylinder or bank, I can erase code & it will clear up & run better for a little while but the same problem returns. What should I look at first ? Thanks

Your sarcasm won't do much to win you any replies.

This forum doesn't have a lot of wrenchers, and those who are will be reluctant to reply unless they have a pretty good suspicion that they have a possible cause for you to chase down.

I found this thread on another site that may help you out, particularly posts 3 and 8. Good Luck!

Thanks Gene ! Interesting info there ! Update on my Lexus,I erased the codes Saturday & let it idle for about 20 minutes & ran perfect with no CEL's, then drove it about 20 miles & still running perfect & no lights on. The day it acted up it had sat a cpl of months & the battery was too weak to crank, had to hook up charger for a few minutes, I wonder if this had anything to do with the problem ?

newportman,

Stranger things have happened when low voltages from battery or alternator hit the system.

I'd keep a close watch for the code to pop up again. If you don't see it again in say 3 months or so, you may be good to go. It it rears its ugly head in the meantime, I'd track it down to prevent expensive repairs that'll stranf you miles from home. Good Luck!

In the future, you can isolate which of the 6 cylinders is acting up by loosening all the sparkplug coil connections while the engine is off. After, with the engine running, use insulated pliers (protects you from the high voltage) to remove one sparkplug coil at a time,

The one that does not change the idle of the engine is the defective unit. Then you have to diagnose if there is power going to that unit etc.

Certainly low voltage from the battery might affect the ECu and the workings of the ignition, but that has to be pretty low run-down battery voltage. And maybe something nibbled on the wires while you were gone?

It is unusual that the codes did not specify which cylinder coilpack was defective.

I forgot that of course it might be incidentally a injector through this same diagnosis method,but that wasn't what the code mentioned?

• 2 weeks later...

The 1354 code & the misfiring problem came back so I ordered the Dorman OCV from amazon for 1/2 price Advance & Autozone gets, should get it in couple of days, hope this is the problem. I will post the results.

I replaced the OCV & when I fired it up it ran ok but idling way too fast, around 2500 & when it warmed up was still at 1500 rpm's, took it for a short drive & the cel with the 1354 code returned. I decided to try unhooking the battery so things could reset, let it set for about 30 mins, cranked it up & idle was perfect, drove it a short distance & the cel did not return, hopefully it's fixed now.