Vsc And Check Eng Warning Lights On-07 Es350

wineluver

2007 ES 350 - 120k on odometer. Driving in some serious snow other day and later the VSC & Check Eng lights came. Shuddering when at idle with brake on, then car seems to leap ahead without much gas pedal. Also at idle sounds like a small motor running somewhere. While cruising when I let off on gas it almost seems like I am in cruise control, i.e the car does start to slow, but not like normal. I have searched the forum for over an hour without any real answers. Tried to reset the gas cap, but have not yet checked the gasket under the cap. My main question is: is this in any way dangerous if I choose to ignore it? It would seem obvious that my VSC is no longer working? Or is it? I am not in a position to spend a ton of money on this so any help is appreciated.

wineluver,

The VSC system (vehicle stability control) works with various sensors around the car and the ABS system to control the engine speed (regardless of how much pedal you're using) and the speed of each individual wheel. This ensures that you can steer the car out of trouble when you're going too fast for slippery conditions that would fling you off the road.

It is highly likely that the VSC light will likely cause the check engine light to come on as well, as they both work together. Basically the car is telling you to slow down because the VSC isn't able to save your butt in speeding conditions, and the computers have taken over to make sure you don't. (My wife's 2004 ES went into limp mode when the accelerator pedal position sensor went south. It took forever to get the car up to 50 mph. Once the sensor was replaced, everything returned to normal.)

Get the trouble codes read for the car before you do anything. It may be that an ABS sensor on one wheel or a speed sensor has a broken wire or its connector is corroded. It may prove to be something simple.

I would think that you can still drive the car, but I would certainly be driving much more cautiously until you can get things corrected. Good Luck!

• 8 months later...