My Heat Doesn't Work In My Car

Duex Lexi

I recently had my starter and timing belt replaced for my 1996 LS400. When I picked up the car and turned on the heat nothing but cold air blew out. I don't want to bring it back to the same dealer because of a "lost" cell phone. Does anyone have any answers about the problem?

Sorry, saw the cool air. You are either low on coolant, have an airlock in your cooling system. There is also a control valve which blocks or allows the flow of coolant to your heater core. So..

With engine COLD, remove radiator cap and run engine up to operating temperature. Look inside and when the thermostat opens you will see coolant moving. Usually, if it is low it will drop way down when the thermostat opens. Top off with water until you are an inch from the top while coolant circulates. Place your heater on the highest setting while doing this and it should also clear any airlocks. Run until you feel heat.

Still no heat? track down the valve, usually vacuum controlled but not sure on Lexus

Welcome Justin :cheers:

If you had normal heat before the timing belt change, then you are most likely just low on coolant. Just add more to the reservoir until up the proper level. Should not take much. Make sure you use the same kind they used in the shop. Hopefully Toyota "red".

• 2 weeks later...

Chances are that if the shop worked on the starter, the connector to the heater control valve was disconnected, and/or the entire assembly moved to allow room for the starter work to be done. I would look for the heater control valve - it is on the passenger side firewall on gen. 1 LS400 models - and should have the cable connected to a movable lever that regulates the water flow. It is an easily overlooked reconnect when other more major repairs are being done. Also, while you are about it, you probably should verify that all your related hose connections/clamps are tight to save yourself a lot of grief down the road; if they forgot to replace the HVC cable connection, who knows what else they did not re-check!

Good Luck