Transmission Slipping?

ABean

I have a 2000 Lexus 300 ES. It doesn't seem to shift into 3rd gear. The rpms keep getting higher and the engine temperature guide moved up to almost red. Is this a sign of the tranny going? My car 175,000 miles on it. Thank you.

ABean,

A 15 year old car with 175 000 miles on it is sure to develop some issues, but I wouldn't panic just yet.

You don't say whether the tranny will eventually shift into 3rd or then into 4th.

I found this post concerning your issue:

At higher mileages, (125,000-150,000) the automatic transmission may not shift correctly. This can be caused by the throttle position sensor being out of adjustment or a shift solenoid needing to be replaced. Typically the transmission does not need to be completely overhauled.

You need to find a good independent mechanic who can diagnose the issue for you, before you start throwing money away. Good Luck!

Toyota transmissions are pretty tough. I personally have never ever seen one fail. I've heard about failures but never knew anyone who had a Toyota transmission fail. Of course with the miles and years and unknown use conditions anything can happen. Your temperature should not go to red ever, really bad and can blow head gaskets which means your car is goodbye. If your cooling system is compromised and overheats, your transmission cooling takes place inside the radiator, IF there is no coolant in the radiator, the transmission will overheat and sensors should protect it for awhile (such as what is happening) but not long.

Take the car to a Toyota dealer (NOT Lexus affiliated) and have them scope it. Of course if you like there are a bunch of people (including me) who are more than willing to help you resolve this issue. Start by checking the coolant levels.

Hey Sydney, went to Hawaii in December. Honolulu and Maui. Loved the place. Probably saw your car if you cruise around the main beach drag. Silver?

There are many good threads on this issue. Way too many on the RX300 forums. Dropping the tranny pan and replacing or cleaning the older style filter which was a metal screen and replacing the fluid has solved problems for many. Yes the trannies are good, but in the RX the additional weight of vehicle with a weak planetary gear design in the early RX300 was a disaster for many including me. Highway miles are much friendlier to the car, but city stop and go is considered harsh. I personally change my fluid once a year. Transmission is a 2500 to 4500 repair job. Good luck. DO NOT do a flush on the transmission, it will cause problems on a high mileage transmission. Drain and fill only.

• 8 months later...

Hi to all I'm new here and with a lexus too...

But I'm having the same issue. I went to the mechanic yesterday and today and he said that the transmission looks good because when you start to run and drive normally, the transmission was giving the gears correctly but is only when the gears goes down (4 to 3rd).

Im very concerned with this problem

.My ES300 has 122k milles, the mechanic said that the fluid atf is in bad conditions ad must change it... Now my questions are:

1- Can i used this fluid?

http://m.advanceautoparts.com/mt/shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/castrol-transmax-high-mileage-atf-automatic-transmission-fluid-1-quart-06812/8150025-P?searchTerm=transmission+fluid

2- Do you guys think that the problems will fix with the change of transmission fluid and the filter?

I was thinking about TPS but i don't have code of it.

Thanks...