Hub Bearings 2001 Is300?

VBdenny

One of my neighbor's girls whom I look out for has a 2001 IS300. She recently had new tires installed and when the technicians attempted the alignment, they couldn't because they said there was a hub issue which I admittedly and unfamiliar with the setup.

I would appreciate any insight as to what needs to be addressed before I dig into the car.

Thanks

Denny

Just from experience, just a month ago, my drive shaft nut came loose. When the car was lifted off the ground the wheel would actually wobble a little. Scared me and I found the detent in the locking nut backed out and was loose. I was lucky I tightened the nut back to 125 ftlbs and made sure the detent was pinged in and so far no problems.

• 5 months later...

Gentlemen. My 2003 IS300 was making quite a bit of "rough bearing noise" in the front end, and at the same time I noticed that the tires were wearing badly on the inside. I found that the driver's side front wheel was noticeably loose and rough sounding when rotated with the tire off the ground. I ordered a new bearing and a new seal from RockAuto.com (Timken bearing, National seal, for a total cost of about $66 including shipping and tax). I used a 12-Ton hydraulic press that I bought from Harbor Freight many years ago which has paid for itself in saved money many times over. Since the IS300 is rear drive, changing the front bearings is comparatively easy (although nowhere as easy as changing front wheel bearings on a 1970's American car). I took pictures of the work and will post them on this forum if I can figure out how to do it. After changing the bearing, I had the car aligned and now it drives smoothly and quietly.