Tire & Wheel Protection Plan

John VT

Dear members

I recently purchased (financed) a 2015 Rx 350. My dealership offered Tire & wheel protection plan including paintless dent repair & windshield scratch support for $900.

I have 30 days to cancel this and get the full refund. I went through some of the old posts in this forum and now I not able to decide whether this is worth or not.

The dealer says they will replace the tire if it is damaged by nail or pot holes. They will also replace the wheel if its needed at no extra cost and will also take care of dents & dings (not more than 4"). Would appreciate suggestions from the members. I had a Toyota RAV 4 for 5 yrs and none of the above mentioned incidents have happened so far.

Was wondering whether an additional $900 protection plan worth or its just a profitable business for the dealer? Please advise.

I never buy that kind of stuff. Partly because I take such good care of my car and partly because they wouldn't be pushing it if they weren't making money from it.

I have been driving for 44 years. I only have had 2 door dings and never damaged a rim. But, I'm a very good attentive driver and I park way out away from everybody else. I also wax my car twice a year with very good wax.

I guess you need to consider your habits to see if you think it is necessary.

How about this: All insurance is a rip-off. Put your $900 in the bank and earn interest on it (not much nowadays). Essentially "self-insure".

Then draw on it if you need it for the covered items. When you are done with the car you'll have the remaining balance for your own use.

Car dealers will try to upsell you with impulse purchases and dire warnings of the consequences. I've even had them get angry when I tell them not to pitch their wares because I'm not buying any of it.

Sorry to any insurance salesmen on here but that is my opinion.

• 4 weeks later...

Time is growing short to get your $900 back. Like others I NEVER buy any of that stuff. Didn't on the RAV4, didn't on the IS250. When the dealer started the warranty thing with the RAV4, I looked at him and asked if he was selling Fords now? If I wanted an extended warranty, I certainly would not buy a Toyota.

Welcome to LOC where people and cars merge.

You better believe it. When my brother sold cars he said dealers make their biggest profits on those extras. Paint finish, extended warranty, tire plans, bumper-to-bumper this and that. I will say I never heard of a dent plan. Run and run fast and get your money back. Take that money and save it for your next set and you'll be far ahead.

The creativity for new extreme dealer profit adds-on never ends...

Really the best measure for avoiding these scams is at the front-end, saying NO to all of them immediately when asked and making sure it's not included in your contract. A much better success rate versus the plan or hope of cancelling later.

Not just cars, but everything. If they are trying to sell it, they are making money.

Lexus of Memphis knew they had me and I wasn't walking. I guess taking a video of it on the showroom and posting it on FB wasn't too smart. No.....I did not buy any extras they were selling.

• 2 years later...

Yes, dealers do make money off of warranties they sell. But the grocery store makes money off of the can of soup you bought too..... and it is a much larger profit margin. I would call you crazy to buy a $60,000 piece of machinery and not insure it for your protection. Cars now-a-days are mostly computers and you are going to sit it in the sun, and cold and then be !Removed! at your dealer when something goes wrong and you have to fork out $2500. Tire and wheel might not be for you, but I would not listen to the people saying dont buy extended warranties.... you probably did for your cell phone, why not your $60,000 car? 

• 2 years later...

Late response, but something that happend to me recently was that I originally purchased the wheel and tire protection; but cancelled 4 months later. A week after that, I swerved out of the way of a car cutting me off on the road and hit a curb. I ended up with 2 blown tires and bent rims.  Good news is I was reimburst $700; bad news is it went to new tires and rims. Now I dont have coverage for future incidences. I would recommend keeping it if you already added it. 

• 6 months later...
On 1/27/2015 at 4:32 AM, John VT said:

Dear members

I recently purchased (financed) a 2015 Rx 350. My dealership offered Tire & wheel protection plan including paintless dent repair & windshield scratch support for $900.

I have 30 days to cancel this and get the full refund. I went through some of the old posts in this forum and now I not able to decide whether this is worth or not.

The dealer says they will replace the tire if it is damaged by nail or pot holes. They will also replace the wheel if its needed at no extra cost and will also take care of dents & dings (not more than 4"). Would appreciate suggestions from the members. I had a Toyota RAV 4 for 5 yrs and none of the above mentioned incidents have happened so far.

Was wondering whether an additional $900 protection plan worth or its just a profitable business for the dealer? Please advise.

This choice depends on where you drive the most and what style of riding 
If it's just a city, maybe it's a waste.