Hitch Receiver For Bike Rack Only For 2015 Rx350

Boodus

This is my first post so thanks in advance for any help. Just bought a 2015 RX 350. I have a bike rack that mounts on a hitch receiver so I need to put a hitch receiver on this vehicle. So first, this is only for a bike rack. I'm not interested in towing anything but I love my bike rack and I'm determined to keep it. Lexus only sells one hitch receiver. It's a true towing hitch - meaning rated and usable for towing - and costs over $1200 installed. This is WAY more than I need. I spoke to my dealer and the only thing they will do is drop the price about $100 if I don't want the whole wire harness installed. Since they want over $500 just for the install, I didn't even ask if they would install a third party hitch but I assume even at that price they will say no.

Now I compare that to this Curt hitch www.curtmfg.com/part/13143 which is acceptable to me in every way for a bike rack. This is not only made for a 2015 RX350 without drilling any new holes etc., but I even found this youtube video showing the exact hitch being installed on the same care - make, model, and year - as mine. www.youtube.com/watch?v=pwJwAetrkN0

My question is this, I live in northern Virginia, DC suburbs, Does anyone know a good mechanic who will put this hitch receiver on for me? I can see from the video that this is not rocket science and you may say "Well why not just install it yourself"? I may have to go that route but I'm willing to avoid the hassles and pay someone. My concern is that I'm going to get a mechanic who will really tear up that plastic shield under the back of the car either getting it out or cutting out the single notch required.

So just looking for a mechanic who will install this Curt hitch if I buy it. Help! I'm not paying Lexus $1200 just to mount my bike rack. Thanks again.

Bye the way, I realize there are companies like uHaul who do this but I've heard terrible stuff about them, plus this rack is a custom fit for my car and I'd like to try to use it..

Uhaul sometimes gets a bad rap but I've had three positive experiences at two Uhaul locations in the past year - mainly while helping a coworker get her Subaru equipped for towing and renting a trailer for a cross country move.

I watched the etrailer.com installation video for the Curt hitch on the RX350 and it sure looks easy. It's odd that the Curt hitch I installed on my 2014 Senna is rated at a "4 out of 10" level of difficulty and the Curt hitch install on a 2015 RX350 is rated "5 out of 10" since the installation on the RX350 is definitely easier than on my Sienna which was pretty darned easy. I would rate the installation on your RX350 as a "3 out of 10" level of difficulty.

Installation on your RX350 should be similar to that on my Sienna which is pretty much just a much larger RX350, Both your RX and my Sienna have three dedicated threaded bolt holes on each side for installing a trailer hitch. The only difference is that you will have to remove/discard your tow hooks to make room to install your hitch. Trimming the underbody panel looks very easy - substantially simpler than on my Sienna. You won't have to be concerned about cleaning the bolt holes since your RX is new.

The underbody plastic panel is super easy to cut with a utility knife. The only part of the installation that is at all difficult is torqueing the six bolts that hold the hitch in place since a significant amount of force has to be exerted ... would have been easier if I had had a helper.

If you do it yourself, you will likely need to put the rear of your RX on jack stands. Be sure to block the front wheels with wheel chocks. Harbor Freight is a cheap place to buy jack stands, wheel chocks and other tools if you need them.

If you think you are ever going to tow a trailer, consider installing at least a "4-flat" trailer wiring harness at the same time. It may not be the same on your RX but on my Sienna it was easier to install a trailer wiring harness before installing a trailer hitch. etrailer's "complete towing package" is a bargain ... includes draw bar(s), balls, pins and a nifty storage bag.

etrailer is a excellent place to buy trailer hitches and accessories. If you have questions during the install, etrailer will coach you through the problem by phone. I've been buying stuff from etrailer for many years - love that company!

• 1 month later...

Well I'll reply to my own post. I was able to buy a Curt trailer hitch that was a perfect fit for my 2015 RX 350 and I had it installed at VA Tire and Auto in South Riding, VA for $109. They did a good job with the install and total cost of less than $250 beat the heck out of $1200 plus at the Lexus dealer for a hitch I didn't need. Good outcome. I even found a video on youtube showing my exact hitch being installed on my make, year and model.