Help - Question About Battery Life

ellav43

Hello I was wondering if anyone could help me, my car was taken to the dealership to get inspected and was surprised to find out I needed a new battery, I didn't remember when the last time I had gotten it changed was but I knew it was under 5 years, the dealership couldn't find it in there system so I agreed to buy a new one and as a curtousy was given a discount since they couldn't find it in there system. I just found the receipt and it shows it was changed Nov 2011, should it of died this quickly? I called the dealership and they said its because it seems that I don't use the car too often, is that true?

that is about expected life. However my original went 5 years before the clock stopped keeping time correctly. (A little thing that we noticed when the batteries start going bad)

Remember also Ella, all batteries are not created equal. A bargain basement battery probably has less cold cranking amps,an a shorter life span. You can look at several websites regarding car batteries and their quality and suitability to your Lexus.

Paul

• 2 weeks later...

I have a 2002 RX300 which I purchased last January (2014). In April I went to start the car and nothing happened; well the lights came on, the radio and a/c came on and all of the instrument panel lights came on but, when I turned the key to start, nothing...not even a click. Fortunately for me I have a great Lexus Dealer in Dallas who sent out a Roadside rescue person. He replaced the battery and everything was fine until this morning. This morning I turned the key and as before everything lit up but when I turned the key to start the vehicle all I got was several clicks. The original battery that went out in Jan 2014 was dated Jan 2014 and I noticed corrosion under the plastic cable cover; I informed the tecnician and he just said it doesn't matter since it's problay only an inch or two down and he sprayed something on it.

Now, when I as a kid in the 1960s and 70s, I used to work in a gas station (a real one with lifts, tire changers, et cetera) and I use to go on service calls all the time for dead batteries. I learned that any amount of corrosion will prevent the alternator from recharging the battery properly. So, I am kicking myself right now for not having replaced the cable sooner. However Lexus wants between $35 and $50 for a cable I can probably get at PepBoys or any other parts house for around $12.00. So what I would like to know is how long is the positive battery cable on the 2002 RX300 and are there any issues which I should be on the look out for, considering the compuerized situation of the vehicles made these days. While I'm aking, how long is the negative cable? I may as well replace it too, while I'm doing the positive cable.

On a side note: One thing I did learn from the Lexus Service Technician who came out is that, according to him, Lexus batteries are made by Interstate Batteries. I personally believe Interstate Batteries to abou the best batteries around.

One last thing; does anyone know how or where I can obtain a copy of the Service Manual for the Lexus 2002 RX300? I did download the Service Manual for the 2003 RX 300 from this site hoping that it will be of some use.

Thank you all for your time and consideration.

My results with battery life lately is not real consistent:

2008 Mercedes C300 - 7 years

2007 Lexus IS350 - 8 years in March, end still TBD...

2010 Honda Civic - 4.5 years

My impression of battery quality seems to be luck and cooler climates. I've had batteries last anywhere from months to years.

JJ loved the gas station part. That was me. A petroleum byproduct dispensing engineer and grease monkey.