Headrest Too Far Forward On Nx200T

I just purchased a NX200T. During the test drive I did not realize the headrest was a little too far forward. It is sharply angled toward the driver at the top. I am on the shorter side at 5' 6 1/2" tall and have good posture. When I sit in the driver seat with good posture my head is pushed forward about 1/2". I have to lean the seat back so I am slouching to avoid neck discomfort. I asked my dealer, service center and the U.S. corporate office for advice. There was nothing they could do. Very disappointing. The worst part is that the headrest is available outside the US with adjustable forward and aft movement at 4 intervals. I asked a few after market car parts dealers for advice. I was told it is a common problem. I was given many solutions (get another brand car's headrest, cushions, heat the metal and bend the rods, padding, etc.). Some ideas were unsafe and of course illegal I thought. For now I put some 2" cushioning in the seat to bring the rest of the seat inline with the headrest. It is better but not quite there and makes my A/C venting fairly useless, & is a little dorky. After just having paid about 50K for the fully loaded car I want a professional solution to improve the headrest. So far I have not solved it. I am curious if anyone else has had this issue and solved it? Any advice is appreciated. I am 95% happy with the car/SUV and am looking for that last 5% of comfort/fit. :huh:

• Like 3

Hi Jeff and welcome to the Club.

This particular problem is not unheard of but very few members are unable to find a solution. Personally, in a mild way, I'm not satisfied with the head rest adjustment just like you.

Did Lexus Customer Service say they could get the other head rest package from Japan and retro fit it to your current installation.

Try that idea if you haven't already. Also, as you drive around you'll find that most foreign cars have the same type headrest.

• Like 2

I just purchased a NX200T. During the test drive I did not realize the headrest was a little too far forward. It is sharply angled toward the driver at the top. I am on the shorter side at 5' 6 1/2" tall and have good posture. When I sit in the driver seat with good posture my head is pushed forward about 1/2". I have to lean the seat back so I am slouching to avoid neck discomfort. I asked my dealer, service center and the U.S. corporate office for advice. There was nothing they could do. Very disappointing. The worst part is that the headrest is available outside the US with adjustable forward and aft movement at 4 intervals. I asked a few after market car parts dealers for advice. I was told it is a common problem. I was given many solutions (get another brand car's headrest, cushions, heat the metal and bend the rods, padding, etc.). Some ideas were unsafe and of course illegal I thought. For now I put some 2" cushioning in the seat to bring the rest of the seat inline with the headrest. It is better but not quite there and makes my A/C venting fairly useless, & is a little dorky. After just having paid about 50K for the fully loaded car I want a professional solution to improve the headrest. So far I have not solved it. I am curious if anyone else has had this issue and solved it? Any advice is appreciated. I am 95% happy with the car/SUV and am looking for that last 5% of comfort/fit. :huh:

That's very interesting. I yesterday had a test drive with the NX300h and I told the exact same comment to the salesman. He was quick to refute my suggestion and I almost convinced myself that I was just having an uncomfortable day. An inconvenient headrest would be a dealbreaker for me, so please let us know how it goes and if you find a solution.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Hey Jeff,

Ditto on the headrest. I'm 'bout 6'3" and told my sales guy I was shaped like a comma in the seat. Not very comfortable. He said the headrest protects against whiplash. True, but not a good answer. I do like the idea about looking for a non-US replacement. Sorry I could not bring anything worth while to the discussion.

• Like 2

Hey Jeff,

Couple final comments on the headrest. I checked on another forum and the F-Sport has adjustable headrests. Perhaps you could try that and have the leather matched. My guess would be around $500-$700 based on what I've seen (for a single unit). A quick fix that worked for me was to simply turn the headrest around. Perfect fit for me. It may not work in your situation as we are all not the same. You can't adjust the height for example, but it fits me just fine. My guess is this would not pass an NHTSA crash test. So do this at your own risk. I wish Lexus has a fix for this.

• Like 1

Update on Feb 2016

After having an NX200 for 14 months now I came to the best headrest solution for me. I realized it was more than just the headrest, it was also the weak back support. Such a waste of an expensive seat and design. Errr. I worked as a physical therapist in the past and have great posture and health. This NX200 seat and headrest and the worst and make me slouch, which I would not stand for. I ended up putting the headrest from the back seat on the front seat and buying a McCarty's Sacro-Ease Deluxe Model Lumbar Seat Support with Extra Padding, 15-Inch Wide, Black for $200 on amazon. I have full 5-point harness kid car seats in the back so no headrests are needed in the back. I tried many other ideas to no avail, including ordering a new driver's headrest for $750 from my local dealership, via Japan (was too hard to modify so I gave up). I sure miss my 2006 year 400RX (I think that was the model, was hybrid large SUV) that I sold for $12k to buy the NX200 for about $45K. I liked my old car way better, even though it had ancient bluetooth.  Next time I will likely get a BMW x3 or perhaps grand jeep cherokee.

---------------------

Post from Feb 2015

I made some progress on the headrest issue... First more of a description of the PROBLEM, then the SOLUTION.

THE PROBLEM: I absolutely love lexus service. It is 50% of the reason I rebought lexus. Honestly in hindsight I would have bought an x3 (like my wife) simply b/c of the headrest issue. The driver seat is just not comfortable for me. Now I am bent on fixing the issue for peace of mind and to relax my body. I have great posture and stretch everyday to stay relaxed. The NX200t headrest makes a person with good posture more tense and is not ergonomic. Additionally the bucket configuration is built for slouchers not ergonomics/healthy back. This article perfectly describes the reason why the seat is bad including the headrest http://www.yogaback.com/car-backrests-headrests-4-design-fallacies-causing-back-and-neck-pain-driving.html What really annoys me is that for this model car, does have an adjustable headrest (forward/aft) available outside the US (as indicated in the handbook), but not sold in US b/c it was not safety tested. Other lexus models do have the forward/aft adjustment, like GS.

THE SOLUTION: Order an adjustable headrest (forward/aft 4 positions) from canada, UK or last choice japan due to language barrier. This will fix the headrest issue. To remove the slouch in the back I ordered yogaback from http://www.yogaback.com/The_YogaBack_for_Driving/new_YogaBackDriving_BU.html I tried a couple other back supports, like McCarty's sacroease, but like yogaback better, plus has a better price. The store owner also sent me a strap for yogaback to keep it in place.

I am on the hunt at the moment to special order the forward/back angle adjustable headrest. If I can order it, it will likely take a few weeks. I will report back in a few weeks on whether I was able to order it and tips for doing so.

TEMPORARY FIX: Temporarily I switched the leftside backseat and driver seat headrest. I then turned the headrest backwards and added a carneck pillow to fill in some empty space http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00A7ZV0R0/ref=sr_ph?ie=UTF8&qid=1423664014&sr=1&keywords=pillow This alone makes it 70% better. I had tried every combo of turning headrest forward/backward in the car and found this was the best temp. fix.

GENERAL NOTE: It looks like across US auto manufacturers bad headrests are now often an issue. This is because they are designed for a driver who slouches and safety tested fro slouchers. How aggravating for non-slouchers. it is the exception to find a headrest with good ergonomics. BMW has them and some lexus have adjustable forward/aft, but not all lexus as I found out the hard way.

Edited by JeffFreeman
Added update from 2016
  • Like 1

• 6 months later...

I am having the same issue. Didn't notice the uncomfortable seat/headrest positioning until it was too late. I too am not a sloucher, and the seat reminds me of the horrible airplane seats that pitch your head and shoulders forward into an unhealthy rounded position. My only option was to flip them around, which looks ridiculous and ruins the visual line of the seat. Also, flipped around, they don't click in so, I'm pretty sure that qualifies as unsafe. Very disappointed and unsure now if I can keep the car as I have neck and back issues so this is now a health/pain issue. WHAT A DRAG.

Before this I had an unexciting RX350, so was excited that the sportier NX might be a better choice for me, having had 3 X3s in succession, prior. I love BMW, but my company branding is with Lexus, so...

I am at a loss as to a viable solution. as it is now, with the headrest flipped around it looks more Iike a dentist chair. And if there's a rear collision, it's likely to launch.

This forum is great, and I appreciate any advice on ordering foreign replacements for the front. When I switched the front for the rear, it was still too far forward.

Not fun to deal with this with a new car is it!?

• Like 1

Good morning,

It sounds like there is a number of possible solutions. That is the great thing about your LOC.

Two questions; Does the NX200T have adjustable up and down head rest that clicks with each of the four up and down positions? If not are you able to raise the headrest without pushing a release button. If not, how does the non OEM headrest rise up and down for adjustment.

Secondly; does the NX200T have an adjustable Lumbar support?

Thanks for the info.

Paul

This forum is great, and I appreciate any advice on ordering foreign replacements for the front.

You would want to verify that the headrests for the Canadian NX really are adjustable and adjustable enough but the Canadian Lexus dealer that has been the best for me has been Metro Toyota/Lexus of Victoria BC. It's been probably 10 years since they sent parts to me in Kansas but they didn't have any problem doing that. My understanding was that they have an export license that allowed direct shipment to me without the ridiculous cost of going through U.S. Customs. Whoops! I just checked and saw that Metro is now "Jim Pattison Lexus/Toyota" ( http://www.jplexusvictoria.com/ ) . The parts guy I bought from when it was Metro was "Paul" - a great help. Or you could trip up to Victoria for headrests and high tea at the Empress Hotel! If you do buy foreign verify that the headrest posts are spaced the same and are the same diameter as those on the U.S. NX.

By the way, some owners of the Prius v wagon like we have are complaining vocally about a similar headrest issue. Maybe my wife is too short and I'm too tall for it to bother me. You might try reclining the backrest more than usual to see if doing that brings your head forward and away from the headrest.

• 1 month later...

I just purchased my NX200t a few weeks ago and share the exact same views on the headrest!! Ditto for what the sales staff said to me when I inquired. I'm also in the process of trying to find a different headrest or some other solution. Like the others here, I've been trying to adjust my seat "every which way but loose" and can't get the right position - and like mentioned here, my driving posture is awful now as a result. I took a 5.5 hr drive (each way) on a trip this weekend and have an awful kink in my neck and pain in my lower back and legs since I was never really seated well in the seat. This NEVER EVER EVER happened to me in the three RX's that I've owned since 2003!! I know regret buying the NX. I do like the power and sport mode and zippy nature of this NX, but otherwise am not happy with the SUV. WIsh I bought a 4th RX (but I thought maybe I'd try the NX since it was sportier). I'm dreading the 3 yrs ahead on my lease...and I've NEVER EVER said that for the RXs. PLEASE, Lexus, find a solution for us ! I'm a longtime Lexus owner - do something for us loyal customers!

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

After having an NX200 for 14 months now I came to the best headrest solution for me. I realized it was more than just the headrest, it was also the weak back support. Such a waste of an expensive seat and design. I ended up putting the headrest from the back seat on the front seat and buying a Mc Carty's Sacro-Ease Deluxe Model Lumbar Seat Support with Extra Padding, 15-Inch Wide, Black for $200 on amazon. I have full 5-point harness kid car seats in the back so no headrests are needed. I tried many other ideas to no avail, including ordering a new driver's headrest for $750 from my local dealership, via Japan (was too hard to modify so I gave up). I sure miss my 2006 year 400RX (I think that was the model) that I sold for $12k to buy the NX200 for about $45K. I liked my old car way better, even though it had ancient bluetooth.  Next time I will likely get a BMW x3 or perhaps grand jeep cherokee.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I moved the back head rests to the front, and turned them backwards.  This looks OK, offers some whiplash protection, but doesn't bother otherwise.  I left the back seats without headrests.  Maybe not the safest, but I can see out the rear window better now!

• 5 weeks later...
On January 15, 2015 at 11:47 PM, JeffFreeman said:

I'm having the exact same problem. It is very uncomfortable and it hurts my back much worst than it is. 

• 4 months later...

I wrote to corporate lexus about this same issue. I'm female and repeat Lexus owner.  My RX never gave me such a problem.   I would hope Lexus could give us a deal on new head rests that won't cause this uncomfortable situation.  I will try swapping back to front head rests and see if that helps too but really looks dorky.

• 8 months later...
  • 3 months later...

We have the same issue on recently leased NX200T.  Wife is usual driver of this car, 5'2", and she resolved to her satisfaction by simply raising the headrest to its highest position.  Tried reversing it but that gave it zero support in case of an accident.  Does anyone know the cost of purchasing the Canadian rests?

• 5 months later...

Just bought my MX is August 2017 and wish I had seen these posts prior. I would not have bought this SUV. I called the corporate office and they tell you they understand but nothing they can do. I filed a minor complaint with the DOT as a safety issues due to this head position because it does cause fatigue when driving more than 30 minutes. I agree with the poor posture and if you recline the seat you can make it livable but with poor posture. My biggest worry is a rear end collision and the possibility of a serious neck injury.

Maybe the more we all push this issue with the dealerships and corporate they will have to listen before someone gets hurt.

• 1 year later...

Hello all, I am new to this club. We had just purchased a 2017 NX200TF Sport with only 3665 miles on it. Got it home and the fiancé doesn’t like it due to the headrest.  So I pulled out the headrest and measured the rods for center to center and for diameter. Then got on EBay and saw quite a few headrest for sale. The one person I contacted was kind enough to measure his and I also asked if it was adjustable and YES it was. I purchased it and it is perfect. It was from a LS460 2007-2009 and the leather and color match perfectly. The prices are from $39 up to $110+. 

Hurry before they are all gone!!

• 6 months later...
  • 1 year later...

I have the same problem with my 2017 NX hybrid. On long trips I either take them off or turn them backward. Its crazy they don't simply make mechanical 3 position adjustments. I was just looking at the 2022 Rx hybrid on line and they look the same!

• 1 year later...