Performance Specs

Steve

• 3 months later...
  • Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Either My SC's limiter isn't working well or the previous owner must've cranked up the car. I'm able to surpass 139 mph. I took it all the way to 153 and then the rpm redlined like crazy.

• 1 month later...

Sorry I'm sure this has been brought up 100 times before, but I didn't see anything about it yet. BTW, I just bought a '92 SC400, this is my 8th Toyota, after two old RWD celicas, an '85 MR2, an '89 MR2SC (for sale), an '87 Camry beater, and my current daily driver, a '92 Camry (with 409,000 km, for sale).

Just out of curiosity, what are the best bang for your buck initial upgrades? It's already got kumho ecsta supras on 17" GS400 rims, but i'm looking at the first couple performance mods. Is the torque converter really worth upgrading? I've read it's one of the first real upgrades....

One more question, I'm a previous W58 owner and lover, and since the 2JZ uses the same auto tranny as the 1UZ, could the W58 not bolt up to the 1UZ??? I know I'd likely need the driveshaft from the SC300, but still it'd really wake up the car methinks.

Thanks for the help! Been a long time old celica club member, and mr2 supercharged club member, now I'm new here.

Cheers,

Aaron

Aaron - Being that I have done all the upgrades on a 1992 SC400, I would say from experience the upgraded torque converter will do wonders for your low end torque. Make your sc bolt off the line, and that would be my first choice for performance upgrades...lextreme.com can build your stock torque converter for around $400, I believe...I got and installed the Dragon Torque Converter for $900, ouch.... Secondly, work on changing out the stock exhaust, it is very restrictive....The mufflers, highflowing cat converters, and even headers if you can take the noise...you will also get better gas mileage. The car will fly... Intake don't worry about, not much hp gains can be made there from stock.... So there you have it...good luck..

I also forgot to mention the installation of a good piggyback ECU unit will also bring you another 20hp or so... this piggyback boosts up your Engine Computer Control Unit output, in other terms this will up the gas and air flow output that is delivered into the engine which will create more power but also you will burn more fuel...You will notice a little difference at the pumps... This upgrade is similar to the "computer car chip" for those that are not farmiliar with the ECU or piggyback....

• 4 months later...

I just purchased a used '00 SC400 not to long ago and I'm very interested in making a few modest upgrades(i.e. headers, exhaust, ECU, suspension/coilovers, brakes/rotors, etc..). Any suggestions??

Try and do the exhaust - mufflers and cats especially, magnaflow is a good brand to consider...The noise is not too bad but if you like your luxury sc to sould like stock high flowing resonators should be installed too...I have headers, Magnaflow catalytic converter, Highflowing Y's and straight thru Megan N1 mufflers...With that setup you can rattle the neighbor hood from the noise.....However adding two sets of round high flowing resonators you can get the car sounding like stock again without sacrificing too much performance....Complete Exhaust mods can literally give you 50-75hp on the older SC's.. The older SC400 exhaust systems are one of the most restrictive systems out there, really bad and litterally choke the engine....Ebay has good deals on Lexus exhaust stuff.... The mufflers and cats get clogged up over the years so get big gains with each change...

The Apexi piggy-back ECU is good cheap mod that opens up the full air/fuel mix delivery to the motor that is restrictive too at stock form...Fuel economy will not suffer that much either as you tune for a increased lean mix.....

Headers are tricky and expensive but EKtuning.com just came out with the only true bolt on headers for the SC400 in the entire United States.....They bolt up perfectly but are $1000 per set..Not cheap.....For more header and exhaust performance info. check out Lextreme forums.com and under the exhaust section you will find much info on the different headers and exhaust systems that are available..

The Precision dragon torque converter is one of the most impressive mods and doesn't effect the driveablilty of the car...As you know now the stock SC are painfully sluggish off the line and from a dead stop...That completely changes with an upgraded torque converter...You can spin the tires from a dead stop with a new torque converter and your 0-30mph times are dramatically improved....Hope this helps...

These mods will not effect the reliablity of the car either...

I really appreciate that info and I plan on doing much more research before I invest any G'z into my 400. My car is pretty much stock(except for the 20" rims) with approx. 41K miles so it really is barely broken in but I've noticed that it could be much faster than 290hp and I would like to achieve it the natural way then maybe a year or 2 from now Supercharge it!!!

many thanks

:)

I really appreciate that info and I plan on doing much more research before I invest any G'z into my 400. My car is pretty much stock(except for the 20" rims) with approx. 41K miles so it really is barely broken in but I've noticed that it could be much faster than 290hp and I would like to achieve it the natural way then maybe a year or 2 from now Supercharge it!!!

many thanks

:)

No problem, Hope the info helps....

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I just purchased a used '00 SC400 not to long ago and I'm very interested in making a few modest upgrades(i.e. headers, exhaust, ECU, suspension/coilovers, brakes/rotors, etc..). Any suggestions??

Try and do the exhaust - mufflers and cats especially, magnaflow is a good brand to consider...The noise is not too bad but if you like your luxury sc to sould like stock high flowing resonators should be installed too...I have headers, Magnaflow catalytic converter, Highflowing Y's and straight thru Megan N1 mufflers...With that setup you can rattle the neighbor hood from the noise.....However adding two sets of 1" round high flowing resonators you can get the car sounding like stock again without sacrificing too much performance....Complete Exhaust mods can literally give you 50-75hp on the older SC's.. The older SC400 exhaust systems are one of the most restrictive systems out there, really bad and litterally choke the engine....Ebay has good deals on Lexus exhaust stuff.... The mufflers and cats get clogged up over the years so get big gains with each change...

The Apexi piggy-back ECU is good cheap mod that opens up the full air/fuel mix delivery to the motor that is restrictive too at stock form...Fuel economy will not suffer that much either as you tune for a increased lean mix.....

Headers are tricky and expensive but EKtuning.com just came out with the only true bolt on headers for the SC400 in the entire United States.....They bolt up perfectly but are $1000 per set..Not cheap.....For more header and exhaust performance info. check out Lextreme forums.com and under the exhaust section you will find much info on the different headers and exhaust systems that are available..

The Precision dragon torque converter is one of the most impressive mods and doesn't effect the driveablilty of the car...As you know now the stock SC are painfully sluggish off the line and from a dead stop...That completely changes with an upgraded torque converter...You can spin the tires from a dead stop with a new torque converter and your 0-30mph times are dramatically improved....Hope this helps...

yes you are right jibby. i have a 95 sc 400. and it feels like something is clogged right before i accelerate. i just did a major tune up in lexus. new timing belt the works. and it still has that cloged feel at first. but when the car gets moving it feels alot better. I just purchased some 19 inch wheels. the next upgrade that im going to do is the exhaust to help it breath like you mentioned.

quick question doe. are headers diffrent than the piggy back that you mentioned. i want to get the whole system from front to back. i was thinking the s&s headers and rod millen mufflers. what do you think about that?

Try and do the exhaust - mufflers and cats especially, magnaflow is a good brand to consider...The noise is not too bad but if you like your luxury sc to sould like stock high flowing resonators should be installed too...I have headers, Magnaflow catalytic converter, Highflowing Y's and straight thru Megan N1 mufflers...With that setup you can rattle the neighbor hood from the noise.....However adding two sets of 1" round high flowing resonators you can get the car sounding like stock again without sacrificing too much performance....Complete Exhaust mods can literally give you 50-75hp on the older SC's.. The older SC400 exhaust systems are one of the most restrictive systems out there, really bad and litterally choke the engine....Ebay has good deals on Lexus exhaust stuff.... The mufflers and cats get clogged up over the years so get big gains with each change...

yes you are right jibby. i have a 95 sc 400. and it feels like something is clogged right before i accelerate. i just did a major tune up in lexus. new timing belt the works. and it still has that cloged feel at first. but when the car gets moving it feels alot better. I just purchased some 19 inch wheels. the next upgrade that im going to do is the exhaust to help it breath like you mentioned.

quick question doe. are headers diffrent than the piggy back that you mentioned. i want to get the whole system from front to back. i was thinking the s&s headers and rod millen mufflers. what do you think about that?

The S&S Headers are not the best choice in headers....THey are not true bolt on headers...Some custom fitting and exhaust work needs to be done...However there are other brands to consider...Look at my thread "Result of Mods" on this forum... I list all the mods and effects of the mods, headers and exhaust chioces to choose from, and also the piggy back ECU and what it does,,.....Just use the search function you can't miss it....

The piggy-back ECU will give you maybe 10hp while the entire exhaust can bring you back as much as 50hp....So I tell everyone to go for the exhaust changes first...The blitz nur exhaust system is reall nice...there are many others aswell....Rod Millen has quality products too... The sluggish starts can be corrected by an upgraded "torque converter".....Lextreme.com and Precision Industries (Dragon Torque Converters) are the two companies that have the upgraded torque converrter for you...

The S&S Headers are not the best choice in headers....THey are not true bolt on headers...Some custom fitting and exhaust work needs to be done...However there are other brands to consider...Look at my thread "Result of Mods" on this forum... I list all the mods and effects of the mods, headers and exhaust chioces to choose from, and also the piggy back ECU and what it does,,.....Just use the search function you can't miss it....

The piggy-back ECU will give you maybe 10hp while the entire exhaust can bring you back as much as 50hp....So I tell everyone to go for the exhaust changes first...The blitz nur exhaust system is reall nice...there are many others aswell....Rod Millen has quality products too... The sluggish starts can be corrected by an upgraded "torque converter".....Lextreme.com and Precision Industries (Dragon Torque Converters) are the two companies that have the upgraded torque converrter for you...

no doubt i will look into those mods. the sc definitly needs the torque converter and exhaust system. But im a bit worried. when i bought the car it had a funny noise that it made coming from the shifter like a jet plane noise and when i decelerate also. now its making a clunk noise when i accelerate and let go of the accelerator pedal aswell. it got worste ever since i put on my new wheels. im taking it back to lexus because they were suppose to do a whole diagnosis they told me they did and that everything was okay. but theres nothing okay about that noise. im scared that its the transmission. i hope its just the exhaust system, becuase it sounds like its coming from under the car. any ideas.

That clunk noise should go away after you install a new transmission mount, very easy to do. Doesn't take long at all. And you can even pick one up online for about $52 I think at Park Place Lexus w/ free shipping. I had that damn clunking noise that would follow accelerating, lifting your foot slightly off the pedal and then back on the gas pedal. Same symptoms, all problems went away right after I installed a new transmission mount. It was about an inch shorter when compared to the new mount. Can't wait to do the suspension and new engine mounts.

• 7 months later...
Where is the best location for the cold air intake filter?

Go to planetsoarer.com and look at the BFI intake design for the Soarer/SC400's...Costs nothing and performs the best...

• 2 months later...

Try and do the exhaust - mufflers and cats especially, magnaflow is a good brand to consider...The noise is not too bad but if you like your luxury sc to sould like stock high flowing resonators should be installed too...I have headers, Magnaflow catalytic converter, Highflowing Y's and straight thru Megan N1 mufflers...With that setup you can rattle the neighbor hood from the noise.....However adding two sets of round high flowing resonators you can get the car sounding like stock again without sacrificing too much performance....Complete Exhaust mods can literally give you 50-75hp on the older SC's.. The older SC400 exhaust systems are one of the most restrictive systems out there, really bad and litterally choke the engine....Ebay has good deals on Lexus exhaust stuff.... The mufflers and cats get clogged up over the years so get big gains with each change...

Great info. Can you tell me how hard it is to install the Dragon Torque Converter? If I have to get a professonal to install it , around how much would it cost? Is it possible the same people that install the exhaust can install the converter?

Thanks for any help

Well the transmission has to be dropped to replace the torque converter...Most tranny shops should be able to do it for around $300-$400... It's a tough job to do on you own though it is doable...

I bought the Precision Industries Dragon torque converter and had it installed for $300 at a local import tranny shop... Open the yellow pages and call some tranny shops for estimates.. You can then sell your old torque converter on Ebay maybe after and make a $100...

Well the transmission has to be dropped to replace the torque converter...Most tranny shops should be able to do it for around $300-$400... It's a tough job to do on you own though it is doable...

I bought the Precision Industries Dragon torque converter and had it installed for $300 at a local import tranny shop... Open the yellow pages and call some tranny shops for estimates.. You can then sell your old torque converter on Ebay maybe after and make a $100...

So how much did you pay in total? Price of converter and installation? Why do Lexus put a $hity converter in?

They counted on older people driving these cars, and I guess Lexus didn't want to give them older folk a shock or heart attack if they floored the car accidently off the line...That's my guess... Maybe also Lexus was focusing more on topend power as opposed to the lowend...Don't know for sure but it's a joke....

What it cost me is alot....$900 for the Dragon Torque converter and $300 for installation... $1200 in total...

If I were to do it again I would call the yards or Ebay for a used Lexus SC400 torque converter for like $50...Send that into Lextreme.com for $400 and have it recalibrated to the Dragon Stall Rate converter...Then install it for $300 at tranny shop... Then take the old torque converter and re-sell it and get my $50 back... $700 in total as apposed to the $1200....

There is down time when sending in your original stock torque converter so that is why I mentioned the buy and selling of a used one...

That's it, any torque converter is good to go, it's the set stall rate that changes the converter..So whether or not you use your own stock converter and have it recalibrated or buy the Dragon it really doesn't matter...

Hope that helps...

They counted on older people driving these cars, and I guess Lexus didn't want to give them older folk a shock or heart attack if they floored the car accidently off the line...That's my guess... Maybe also Lexus was focusing more on topend power as opposed to the lowend...Don't know for sure but it's a joke....

What it cost me is alot....$900 for the Dragon Torque converter and $300 for installation... $1200 in total...

If I were to do it again I would call the yards or Ebay for a used Lexus SC400 torque converter for like $50...Send that into Lextreme.com for $400 and have it recalibrated to the Dragon Stall Rate converter...Then install it for $300 at tranny shop... Then take the old torque converter and re-sell it and get my $50 back... $700 in total as apposed to the $1200....

There is down time when sending in your original stock torque converter so that is why I mentioned the buy and selling of a used one...

That's it, any torque converter is good to go, it's the set stall rate that changes the converter..So whether or not you use your own stock converter and have it recalibrated or buy the Dragon it really doesn't matter...

Hope that helps...

Nice info.....

Well I just talked to my performance guy and he said he could install my full exhaust system for about 850 everything in. He said it would be a custom job, from front to back , magnaflow 2.5 plus up in Canada, which at the moment doesn't really matter because the US dollar is falling like a rock. He said it would take about 2 - 3 hours to install. Do you think thats a good price? Is there anything I should make sure to ask him?

Thanks again

If the guy is using mandrel piping then it is a good deal, if he manually bending piping to conform to your system then it is not a good deal.. Mandrel is ready made pipes with no bends with reduced pipe sizing... Regular exhaust shop bends pipes with machines and creates a smaller pipe size at the turns which restricts flow...

You need to ask him exactly what he plans to do for all that money...Mufflers, cats, pipes even if bent piping is used is a so so fair deal for that money...More then I would spend though...

Make sure you go 2.25 mandrel pipe sizing and or 2.50 bent pipe sizing....Those flow the best, anything bigger will be counter productive...Make sure you exhaust mechanic understands that, because most don't for the SC's...

If the guy is using mandrel piping then it is a good deal, if he manually bending piping to conform to your system then it is not a good deal.. Mandrel is ready made pipes with no bends with reduced pipe sizing... Regular exhaust shop bends pipes with machines and creates a smaller pipe size at the turns which restricts flow...

You need to ask him exactly what he plans to do for all that money...Mufflers, cats, pipes even if bent piping is used is a so so fair deal for that money...More then I would spend though...

Make sure you go 2.25 mandrel pipe sizing and or 2.50 bent pipe sizing....Those flow the best, anything bigger will be counter productive...Make sure you exhaust mechanic understands that, because most don't for the SC's...

Thanks for your help again..

Im debating if I should get resonators or not? Do you know about how much HP you lose with resonators? Did you install them on yours?

I went with straight thru mufflers that scream at full throttle that is why I went with resonators to quiet things down, I also deleted two cats and have headers so it got noisy...

It's a lexus and not a Camaro so most want to keep it quiet like I did... I would say try and pick out some good flowing oval mufflers....Those are much more hush hush compared to the circular straight mufflers... I would setup your exhaust first then if it's too loud then look into some resonators after the fact...

I went with straight thru mufflers that scream at full throttle that is why I went with resonators to quiet things down, I also deleted two cats and have headers so it got noisy...

It's a lexus and not a Camaro so most want to keep it quiet like I did... I would say try and pick out some good flowing oval mufflers....Those are much more hush hush compared to the circular straight mufflers... I would setup your exhaust first then if it's too loud then look into some resonators after the fact...

Jibby, you modded your SC to the max, but I like it!!!