Full Throttle Behavior

moving2

I was cruising along around 15mph in my '94 LS400 when I decided to "see what she could do" and floored it. The engine revved up and, to my horror, right when I expected the transmission to shift, the engine hit close to redline and it sounded like a rev-limiter kicked in and I felt a loss in power until I let off the accelerator. All maintenance is up to date on engine and trans, with the exception of an EGR CEL I will be fixing shortly. Any ideas here? This cannot be normal behavior, can it?

Carbon buildup. Unless you routinely take it to redline, this happens. Often on the Interstates when you see someone floor it, you'll see a cloud of exhaust as the engine heads for the red zone. I guess sometimes cars can't believe you want them to swing the needle all the way.

due to my advanced age, my speed limit is about 80 when it is very clear..... so I just pull mine down to 2nd and run it up to 5000 or so for a little bit.... but to answer his question NO that is not common, at 15mph, a full floor board results in a takeoff like it is going to fly..

As Billy correctly pointed out, no, not normal at all. I have no issues flooring most cars however with the LS 400 you can only expect to hold it for less than 10 seconds unless you have diplomatic immunity or a badge. The car should go to redline and shift, the repeat. Almost sounds like it didn't shift?