Transmission Flush

Thunder32

Greeting's All

First time poster! I'm hoping you all can help me as I feel like I have nowhere else to turn. Recently I took my 2009 ES350 to my local "Goodyear" dealer to have their transmission flush service performed. I have 68,000 miles of my car, and I'm a perfectionist and maintain my car to perfect standards, or try to. I bought my car new, and have always loved and maintained it. After driving my car home after the service was perfomed, which is about 6 miles from the Goodyear service center, I noticed a terrible smell after parking my car. I thought the smell just might be because they worked on the car. The car then sat for two days without being moved. On the third day I got in my car to run to the grocery store. After backing out of the garage my son noticed a pool of tranmission fluid on the floor. About the size of a dinner plate. I then pulled the car back in the garage and didnt move it until the next morning up on whihch I took it back to Goodyear. They informed me that they thought the cap upon which the fluid was removed wasnt correctly installed back on my car. They checked and cleaned up the fluid and after two hours sent me on my way. After driving to a medical appointment (the same day), I again smelled the fluid smell and pulled over. I popped the hood and again found transmission fluid all over the place. I again drove back to Goodyear and told them what I found. They took the car and again drained all the fluid and replaced it with what they said was the proper amount and checked at the proper temperature. Lots of apologys and I drove home. After the car has been sitting I have now found a few spots of transmission fluid on my floor. I'm not sure if this is just residual fluid from the previous spill, or what (yes I cleaned all previous fluid as well as my engine and garage floor - I'm a perfectionist - its a curse). I didnt think doing preventative maintance which cause me such a headache. Anyone have any ideas what could be wrong. Any advice would be truly appreciated. Thank you.

Hi Thunder. Sorry to hear about your issues. There are many opinions about the transmission fluid in the ES; many from folks much more knowledgable than me.

If you read the owners manual you notice the system is sealed and does not require changing or flushing - ever. I know....it is blasphemous! Anyway, my Lexus dealer pretty much refused to touch mine and said if they did it would not actually change all of the fluid anyway. I cannot imagine Lexus would call this a sealed transmission and recommend against touching it if it would not last a long long time. It makes no sense to me, but I have 101K miles and have not touched it. I am going to leave it and see what happens as an experiment. If I drive the car to 150K it will be a miracle anyway.

If you pick services a la carte at Lexus (at least my dealer) it is not much more costly than others shops. I can only speak for Indy, but I would never take my car to Goodyear here....for the exact issues you reference. Good luck.

I would have been furious with Goodyear, they very well could have destroyed or damaged your transmission. Normally the flush machine is hooked up between the hoses to the transmission cooler. What in the world would have leaked unless they didn't tight the hoses. I personally would never do a flush, however I would do a fluid exchange which requires the Engine on with the transmission pump making the exchange of fluid. Not familiar with the method to check fluid level on the 09 ES. But your book should give the fluid total requirements and that is what they should have put in the car.

Thank you for the replies - I know they did hook it up to the flush machine and did not actually drop the pan or anything on the transmaission itself. I cant for the life of me figure out why I needed to do this service (I'm a perfectionist - and its a curse). I did read the manual and saw how much transmission fluid I actually needed, but no other information was given. I live in a very small town, and the nearest Lexus dealer is several hours away from me. Hence me taking it to "Goodyear". I checked this morning and its still leaking small amounts, I have a pan under the car and I'm able to check it. Any suggestions on what I should do? Is this something that can be fixed? Thank you for the replys and support. I'm a disabled vet, unable to walk and I have alot of anxiety

(28 years service) - I hardly ever leave my home - its a prison for me. So I'm upset! Thank you.

First, thank you for your service. Try not to fret. Sounds like to me if they disconnected the line, they may have messed up the seal on the line. Other options are a Toyota dealership which can perform the diagnoses. Until a qualified mechanic looks at the underside after washing the under carriage it may be difficult to find the leak. But I am thinking the lines or worse case the Radiator cooler may have been damaged by a poor mechanic when unhooking the lines. I don't see your location listed on your Avatar, there are good folks out there, but location (general) like State and town is helpful for recommendations. Ok I found a parts list for your car, there is a little "O" ring on the connections to your radiator for the transmission cooler. I would suspect they may be bad or damaged. Should be a simple task.

Hi Thunder, Lenore's suggestion of taking your car to a Toyota dealership for diagnosis is a good one. The ES350 has the same mechanicals as the Camry and Avalon so their mechanics are familiar with working on the transmission. It might cost a few bucks more, but at least you'll know it's being looked at by experienced Toyota people. Good luck..

I just wanted to thank you all for the advice and help - "Thank you". This morning I got a call from "Goodyear", and they asked me to take my car to our local transmission shop - "Global Transmissions" in Fort Walton Beach Florida. They took it in right away and gave it a total inspection. It was a great shop, and they told me that the car was just overfilled! Therefore the presure release through what appears to be a vent located on top, right side of engine was venting fluid. You could see where the fluid had sprayed. They ran the car and checked everything over. They also told me to keep monitoring it and keep them informed. Goodyear paid for everything and def stood by me. I asked alot of questions from the shop owner and he told me that he hardly ever see anything from Lexus,or Toyota - Good news, and he was actually surpised my car was even there! I asked him what he thought about doing the flush and he told me that he would not do one unless the vehicle had 100,000 miles on it or more. That with all the new synthetic fluids out there that it just isnt needed. He also told me that he does not like the Hydro flush machines that companies use. He said that the 2009 ES350 does have a pan to remove, gasket, and a screen filter to clean. He recommends doing it that way. He told me he charges about $250 for this service. That he also checks all the codes on the car, sensors and road test. He also told me he has never seen a car so well taken car of such as mine - hah - that made me feel good conidering its almost 6 years old, and I truly maintain it in perfect condition. I felt very comfortable with his knowledge and customer service. Hopefully this solves my issue, but I'll def keep watching it. Again thank you all for the help! Take care.

That is great news. Just for everyone info changing the fluid on those years is a very precise service as the temperature of the fluid has to be measured as well as the amount.

I wouold recommend you only have your transmission serviced by a Toyota or Lexus dealer since they have the correct transmission fluid (Toyota WS) and they have the proper Techscan diagnostic machines to make sertain the fluid is at 114F when setting the fluid level via the drain plug. I would call that transmission shop and ask what ATF they used and if it isn't WS then I would take it to a dealer and have it redone with the correct fluid. Using the wrong ATF in an Aisin transmission could cause premature clutch failure over time. The Toyota WS fluid is chemically compatible with the friction material used in Aisin transmissions used by Toyota/Lexus. This is not a minor detail.

Well..based on this an another thread I asked my Lexus dealer about a drain/fill on my transmission. They said it does not need changed, ever. So... I called Hilton Head Lexus where I will be next week (nicest dealer/building I've ever seen for Lexus). They also said it is not needed. They then said "but we do them all the time - it is $157 out the door." So I will have this done on vacay next week. Then I should be good go 150k (I hope).

Stupid question, but, does it really do much? Meaning, how much really is replaced and how much is mixed with the old?

I do the trans cooler line flush and get all of the old fluid out. I run 12 quarts through. If my dealer would do it for $157 I would have them do it for sure.

• 2 weeks later...

So HHI Lexus calls and says "you have a sealed transmission so we will not service it." Right. Then they say I need a fuel system flush and an AC refresh. My moonroof also leaks a bit too much and they say I need a new seal.

So, I told them to do none of it and picked the car up. I bought some rubber lube for the moonroof seal. I will either just drive on or if they offer the 2015 Camry Hybrid in white with solid black interior I might just be tempted by that....and I can tell you having a Lexus Platinum warranty is nothing like having a Lexus factory warranty.......nothing.

So HHI Lexus calls and says "you have a sealed transmission so we will not service it." Right. Then they say I need a fuel system flush and an AC refresh. My moonroof also leaks a bit too much and they say I need a new seal.

So, I told them to do none of it and picked the car up. I bought some rubber lube for the moonroof seal. I will either just drive on or if they offer the 2015 Camry Hybrid in white with solid black interior I might just be tempted by that....and I can tell you having a Lexus Platinum warranty is nothing like having a Lexus factory warranty.......nothing.

Tell them to flush the trans anyway. Then put a bottle of Techron in your gas tank for the next two tank fulls and skip the fuel system flush. I would have them replace the moonroof seal and skip the AC unless it's not cooling the car enough. Then insist that be covered by the warranty.