Thinking Of Rx300 Purchase

odysseus

Hello all, I am currently looking for an inexpensive, reliable vehicle for my wife to drive for a few years. There are a few RX300s for sale in my area and I'm interested in one in particular. It is a 2001 and has 116,000. The seller wants $10k, but I'm sure I can talk him down from that.

What I'd like to know beforehand is what are some common problems to the RX300, in particular the 2001 model? I see quite a few threads about transmission problems, but it looks like they are mostly on the 1999 model. Did Lexus fix the problem by 2001? Thanks and I look forward to your responses.

• 2 weeks later...

HI,

I drive a 2001 AWD with the same mileage, and so far the only problems I've got was to replace the knock sensor, that took me around a grand.

I also have a 2014 Volvo XC60 Diesel, and honestly, I prefer to drive the RX.

But, there is always a but, the fuel consumption is what it is. Getting an average of 20 MPG will be realistic. Actually it is the only reason why I use the Volvo instead the RX.

About the transmission, I am not an expert, once I thought I had that problem but at the end was not. What is the % over all RX sold?

Hope it helps