Is There Anyway To Override This Feature?

I usually detail my car out in the bright sunshine, but this morning all I wanted to do was vacuum it so I just scooted it over and did it in the garage. I never noticed this before, but my headlights stay on the whole time!!!!! Never noticed that before. I mean, not DRLs or parking lights, but the headlights.

How can I make it not do that. Sometimes I'm working for hours like if I'm applying protectant and stuff.

Yes, sounds like you have the headlight switch (on turn signal stalk) in the AUTO position.

I usually leave mine in OFF position since I rarely drive this car at night, which will leave the lights off regardless of surround lighting. The Lexus Service department does this during service visits too, they don't want the lights on while inside the service building.

Thanks Lex! I'll have to make me a note to put it back on auto though. I have gotten so used to auto lights that I would never rembember to put them back on.

:blushing:

This doesn't make any sense, unless you detail your car with the engine running. If your lights are in AUTO, they will turn off (depending on your LPS settings) when you open the driver door, or 30/60/90 seconds after you do that--they won't stay on.

I think it makes sense. She is listening to stereo, and in 3rd position on keyless start (1=off, 2=accessory, 3=Start, in which only starts if brake pedal is depressed at same time. There's a tendency to use #3 as an "accessory mode", because door chimes, etc. are silent, which is what I think is happening. Engine is not running while detailing.

Yes, eventually and the headlights are probably the biggest drain on battery. But that's why we have post #1 and post #2 above.

The 3rd position is frequently used because you can access certain things that 2nd position cannot.

Well, I usually don't listen to the car stereo because I had speakers to my home stereo installed in my garage when I built my house. Since that was just a quickie vacuum job I might have. I'll make sure I don't do that again. I thought they were staying on because I had the doors open.

• 9 months later...

Yes try checking to make sure your parking light switch is not on "auto". I keep my light swicth off all the time and disconected my highbeam bulbs because these are used as daytime running lights. I personally dont like the way the running lights look on my 09RX350, they are somekind of yellow. To me my RX looks cleaner without any lights on during the day. But everyone has their opinion.

@Dark Grey RX350 -- you disconnected your high beam bulbs because you don't like the DRLs? What do you do on a dark road at night? or in the rain? That seems totally unsafe? Why not just ask the dealer to turn off your DRLs?

Notes:

On the 2nd gen ISx50's, a Lexus service tech can disable the DRL feature, an option for those that do not want DRL lights. By having this done, high beams will still operate normally. Don't know if the same can be done with RX350.

Also, using the high beams in rain (or fog) is not advisable for safety/visibility reasons.

I'm with you on fog, but we are going to have to agree to disagree on rain. I've been driving with high beams in rain for 29 years--maybe it's not advisable in a torrential downpour, but in regular rainy conditions, I'd rather drive with more light on the road, not less.

Not sure this is germane, but on my 2013 ES350, the DRL's are controled by a dial on the turn signal stock. You simply turn it to off or on. This is a good idea because over these past years people have either liked the DRL feature or hated it. Within the search program you can find several conversations about this feature.

The yellow looking DRL's are halogen bulbs, thus the tint. Now since all bulbs have been changed to LED's, the fog's and head lights appear to be the same color tint. A few years ago there were many postings about wanting to change out the halogen fog lights because owners thought they looked cheap. It finally came out that the yellow tint color in the fog lights was intentional by Lexus because the yellow color penetrates fog and mist along with light snow fall thereby providing better visability.Therefore, it's simply up to you to do what you like.

At some point in the past, I believe that some states made DRL's mandatory. I like the running lights. In my view there is no such thing as too many visual warnings that you are at the intersection, ready to turn and some "asleep at the wheel" driver cuts in front of you because he didn't see you there.

Paul

I am not aware of any states that have made DRL's mandatory (states don't generally meddle with automaker installed safety equipment, CA emission standards is another story with some automakers using it as a 50 state standard), nor are they a federal requirement in US (yet and as of today in 2015).

In Canada DRL's are mandatory, and driver-selectable DRL's are not available. When you drive there it's very obvious, and in heavier traffic not especially helpful either.