1992 Ls400 Rough Idle And Stalls After Tune-Up.

Riverside NJ

Car was running great. Hadn't been tunned up in 10 years. Decided it was time and replaced the plugs, wires, dist. cap, rotor and serpentine belt all as a precaution. Now it idle's rough then stalls. Checked all the wires and plugs for spark and even put back the old plugs, still no good. Sounds like I unknowingly disconnected some vacuum hose or wire?.

Any idea's on tracing the problem?

Welcome, Ralph.

With a 22 yo car, there are a lot of brittle connectors and plastic pieces. It is hard to say what might have been disturbed, if anything.

It could also be caused by the quality or type of replacement parts.

You could also look for codes from the on-board computer. There might not be any but its worth taking a quick look. See this tutorial for how to retrieve codes -> http://www.lexls.com/tutorials/intro/codereading.html

Also, you mention dist. cap and rotor in the singular sense. There are two caps and two rotors. Did you change out each pair? And what brand of parts did you use for all components?

Here are the list of parts:

2 Airtex/Wells Dist caps #JD938

2 Airtex/Wells Rotors # JP917

8 NKG Laser Iridium spak plugs #4589

1 set Denso wires #671-8143

I have a mechanic looking at it and he said he got a Code 13, whatever that means. So far he has been at it for over 4 hours and still no luck. He has been checking for pinched wires or vacuum hose. He is a local guy and I don't think he has much diagnotic equipment. Any help is welcome.

Code 13 is the RPM signal 2, which is a cam signal on the LH side (drivers side). Check carefully for a loose, broken or disconnected wire around the cam cover on the drivers side.

You should also check the crank position sensor and wiring. You might have accidentally cut or pulled one of these wires when you did the work.

One other thing that I have to mention....probably not the case but, I have heard of getting the rotors on backwards (180 degrees out). Can you just verify that they were put on correctly? When the timing is at TDC, the RH (passenger) rotor metal tip should be in about the 9 o'clock position while the LH rotor should be in the(approx.) 5:30 position.