Anyone Run Snow Tires All Year?

Well, what would you do. On my ES330 which I use as my highway travel car, I still have my 5 year old, nearing half worn Firestone Winterforce snow tires running. My summer tires on my factory rims are toasted Avid V4's which are so squared up they were terrible. So I am going to just run out out the Winterforce and replace them next winter. I spend a lot of time in New Hampshire skiing in the winter so I kind of need them there and these are about done for snow anyway. I will say that I just love how the car drives with winter tires, I actually like them better than any summer tires ever. Such a secure feeling and absolutely awesome when it rains. I found it pays to watch your assets when braking in rain with the winter sneakers because people can get squirrelly behind you. Of course at which time mirror vision is crucial.

Anyone else have any feelings on driving with snow tires all year? Anyone else really like driving with them?

Hey Denny,

I was surprised, but when I put a new set of snow's on my previous ES350 2010, they seemed to actually feel more smooth than the all seasons I had just taken off. Like you, when winter started to blend into spring, I noticed how much better they grabed on when I had to jump on the brake pedal. Rain, black ice, you name it, I really enjoy the product. They are Bridgestone _ I can't remember how to spell the last name - LOL.

I do take the snows off in about the end of March. After all of my praise you would assume I would use the tires year round. But frankly, my experiance is that your mpg suffers when you use your snows year round. In hot weather the all season tires are more maleable, they are quieter, and handle better as the pavement heats up througout the day.

If you live in a snow state region, try a set of snow tires next year. Like Denny and I, you'll not only stay out of the ditch, you'll enjoy being comfortable and safe at the same.

Paul

Hi Paul,

I do love how snow tires drive but as you mentioned, the fuel economy does suffer a bit. I looked over the tires today and it seems that even after all this time, the tread still has some squiggles left with easily more than half the tread. I guess I'll run them up to Boston next week and get some new summer tires. I keep the summers and original rims in my basement there so I don't have the option to change them here (in VB). Not sure what I will get but probably some Firestone wide ovals. I think your Bridgestones are about the same.