Engine Oil Leak

wineluver

I have had some dripping(very slow) engine oil under my car last few weeks. Took my 2007 ES350 in for an oil change(not my dealer but a local shop I have used before) and asked them to see where the leak is coming from. They say it is from the chain drive casing and in order to replace seals etc the engine must be partially lifted. They say could be 20 hours of labor plus parts. Anyone familiar with this issue?

wineluver,

It really comes down to how deep your pockets are, whether you can live with a small leak, is your driveway interlocking brick or gravel, or whether you're someone who must have a pristine ride.

From my perspective, you can mop up an oil leak spot on the driveway a heck of a lot of times, compared to 20 hours labour at $85 an hour and $50 worth of parts. But its your call to make.

• 2 weeks later...

Did you check to see if your ES 350 had the VVT oil line hose replaced? There was a recall on the 2007-2009 2GR-Fe engines. I actually have the metal line that I was going to put on my 2008 but the dealer replaced the hose under the recall so I never returned the line. BTW, if it is the rubber line and it ruptures it will cause you to lose all of your engine oil in a minute ot two and seize your engine so you better be sure.

Thanks for your responses. I did have the hose replaced, mechanic seemed sure it was coming from the chain drive case. I have to agree with Gene, the leak is very slow so I will add a little oil from time to time.

Ok well if it is a case gasket I would then recommend you change your oil selection to Valvoline Maxlife syn blend or Mobil1 High Mileage. Both oils have seal swelling additives that may just slow or stop that leak. I have had best results with the Maxlife. Note it takes 2 or 3 oil changes for that oil to work. Both are available at Walmart.

Here is the 2005-2006 TSB for the same 2GR-FE

http://www.autocarepro.com/Article/114248/tech_tip_oil_leak_from_front_timing_cover_reported_on_some_20052006_toyota_2grfe_engines.aspx

http://www.rav4world.com/tsb/2006/EG020-07.pdf

I would contact your dealer and see if Lexus will repair it under goodwill since this has been an issue before on other 2GR-FE engines.