How Can You Tell If An Rx Has The Optional Limited Slip Rear Different

wongstein

Hi folks,

I did not find a thred on this topic, and I hope someone can help me out. I'm wondering, how can one easily tell if an RX was equipped with the optional limited slip rear differential. Are there any extra buttons on the dash that allow you to manually activate? Or are there any wires or features on the rear differential to look for?

Also, can anyone say how the optional limited slip rear diff stacked up against other locking diffs, or e-trac type systems, when it comes to snow or mud?

Thanks very much!

Tony

Jack up the back end. Spin one wheel by hand, if the other wheel turns in the same direction, you have a LSD. No wires or buttons, it's all mechanical. Works as good as any other LSD.

• Like 1

Thanks for that feedback! I'm in the process of shopping for one, and I don't know how many sellers will allow me to lift the back end or if time will allow. Is there no visual external difference on the differential housing? If there's not difference, then I'm guessing it's just a dashpot type of slip limiter? If it's active or electronically controlled, then there should be extra wires, cables, or hydraulics?

Cheers

• 9 years later...

Download the Lexus App and enter the vin number of the vehicle you’re looking at. After you have entered the VIN# go to Specs and Capabilities and you’ll see if it has the LSD. And all the other factory options! Hope this helps. 99 isn’t the only year. I’m working on a 2000 right now and it has the LSD and my personal 02 doesn’t!