Omg I Am Lost

IndyRon

:censored: I am soooo stuck, i have a 97 lexus ls400

driving home one day on the interstate, I noticed a change in throttle. after getting off the interstate i had NO power at accelleration cant out run a metro!

finally gets up to speed but cant get a good kick down at high speeds

can barely make it up a hill from a dead stop!

I am LUCKY if i get 5 miles to the gallon and the fumes are BAD! (smells like raw feul). If i put my foot on the brake and give it a lot of gas I have very little pull

transmission checked out fine

code check on engine light suggested Throttle response Sensor,

and rich AND lean feul mixtures!

so 480.00 later we changed the sensor NOTHING

the shop suggested AFTER they changed the TRS that it was the catylic converter that it had collasped, so I took it to a muffler shop, nope not it!

any suggestions at all?

how could cleaning the throttle body help with the dramatic loss of fuel? it would seem that it would not go anywhere!

Be sure you cat isn't clogged. Restricted exhaust will cause this type of problem and it comes on fairly quick. A plymouth I had did this and I was down to 45 mph max by the time I got home.

I had something similar happen in another car. Clogged fuel filter. I just barely made it up and over an enormous bridge and coasted down the other side to the nearest gas station. My mother declared "gas filter!" having been through this many years before. My father (one time mechanic) grumbled, no way not possible. He checked everything he could think of, finally agreed to check the filter and low and behold, even I could see that baby was clogged. The trouble came on suddenly, about 3 hours in to a 10 hour road trip. We had been driving just fine, mostly on highways until then.

I can't say what the emmissions were like, though I think they were kind of smokey. I was just try to not get run over on that dumb bridge.

It's worth a shot. One of the least complicated possibilities.

• 12 years later...

I have the same problem. It fixed the problem for a couple of days but now it's back the same. When I changed the fuel filter, it was black fuel coming out the filter. It still spotters a bit and still won't get over 55mph. I plan to change the plugs and wires next week to see if it will help some, but I'm going to have diagnostics ran on It soon before.