92 Ls400 Alternator Options?

Panthean

IIRC the same type of alternator is used throughout all the production years so find a used LS400 one shouldn't be a problem and there should be no need to look at other models.

Main thing with a used one is making sure it's a good one.

When you say your "alternator is going out" what exactly do you mean? Charge light on,noisy bearings,soaked in PS fluid?

My alternator is going out, and I am going to buy a used one. I am wondering which other cars would have an alternator that's compatible with my 92 ls400? Any help would be appreciated.

I think you should take a look at your alternator plug - I may be wrong, but you won't lose any time if you do check it out before you pick up a replacment. The '92 has a round plug, and if I remember correctly, some other model years have a different shaped plug. Also, the amperage is around 100 for the '92, so keep that in mind as well.

Given the work you are going to have to do to get the alternator out, I would suggest looking around online for a new OEM one and save yourself some more work later. However, one other thing to know if you are set on getting a used one - check for leaks in the power steering pump/reservoir in the car you are taking the alternator out of - this would be a strong indicator that the alternator is probably going to fail sooner or later since PS fluid has probably leaked onto the alternator and shortened it life.

Hope this helps.

This link shows the difference between the different year models: http://www.lextreme.com/Lexus-Alternator.html

Also, if your alternator is the original one that came with the car, it is of a much better quality than the ones you get from discount stores - you may be better off getting it rewound if the armature is bad, or alternatively, if you are lucky and only the brushes are worn out, replace them for probably $20.00 at the most.

Hope this helps

My alternator is going out, and I am going to buy a used one. I am wondering which other cars would have an alternator that's compatible with my 92 ls400? Any help would be appreciated.

There is no guarantee that a used will not be bad. I would take your original one to a local alternator/starter rebuilder. I just had an alternator rebuilt for one of my other cars and they charge $20 plus parts. They bead blasted it, cleaned it all up, new brushes and bearings, tested out...looked like new and it cost me a whopping $37.

Yo Panthean...

Listen to fsuguy and landar...their replies save lexusownersclub members lot's of money and time.

They have for me!

Take your alternator to NAPA and have em' rework it. It'll cost ya' anywhere from (I'm guessing) $25 to $60?

+1 on Landar's suggestion. I've had multiple starters and alternators overhauled by automotive electric shops for far less money and with better quality work/components than buying a rebuilt unit.

Paul