Topping Off The Tank Burns Out Charcoal Canister.

The check engine light was coming off and on and I took it in to the Lexus dealer and they tell me it needs a "charcoal canister". They said to never top off the fuel tank, just let it go to the first pump click, or you will burn out the charcoal canister. Apparantly its an emissions device and doesn't affect performance. Has anyone heard of this caution before? I could find nothing in the manual abut filling the tank. I hate to change out the charcoal canister -they want $750 to do it. Has anyone had the same problem and is there a cheaper workaround?

It is an emmisions device to retain unburnt petroleum gas ,since it is illegal to have a tank open to the enviorment. In order to burn a canister out you would have to fill the tank up all the way and keep going over 10 times atleast to get enough actual liquid gas through the purge lines to the front of the carwhere the canister is. then you would have to park the car and leave it for a while so the liuid would then wash the charcoal. But who ever fills up then parks there car within 1 minute? It is fine to slightly top of the tank ,i do it all the time to round out my $. Check for a warranty coverage on it as it is an emmision related product.

I just looked at the manual. The canister is located above the rear axle. It looks like a real PITA to remove it, involving removal of one drive axle and various suspension components. If not done carefully, a wheel alignment would be in order after replacing it.

It looks like two options:

1. Go junkyard hunting for a canister. Find a "independant" mechanic with some level of skill to replace it. Hopefully you can find one with a Toyota scan tool, although emission related faults can "usually" be cleared using a generic, OBDII scan tool. Get a wheel alignment if necessary when done.

2. Bite the bullet, and pay the the local stealer. At least then when the check engine light comes back on, you will be under warranty for the parts replaced. :pirate:

comp.pdf

Yeah, I was in a Mobil gas station just last night filling up (not topping off of course) and they actually had a pre-recorded announcement going over the sound system about how you shouldn’t top off your gas tank - they said you should not put any more gas in the tank after the first click-off. The reasons they gave were not specific about the charcoal canister, but they did talk about how it adversely affects the emissions system on the car and consequently the environment.

• 3 years later...