Starting Problem After Driving A While And It Gets Hot; New Problem Af

NewbLex

Since I've had my 92' SC300 it runs very well, never an issue while it's running, but if I've been driving a while then shut it off to run into a store, for example, when I try to start it again it will turn over and start, but within a few seconds will bog down and die. It takes anywhere from 5-25 tries to get it to stay running again, and there is no check engine light on. I've read a lot of posts and came to the conclusion that it is possibly the ECU/ECM, IAC, or Idle Speed Control sensor/module, but I'm still not sure exactly. I've just replaced the fuel filter with no change.

A diagnosis of this issue and the possible fixes would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance for your input and assistance.

• 3 weeks later...

Wow NewbLex! I know first hand how frustrating this can be. I think you are on to something with the IAC or Idle Speed Control Module. I had a similar problem, except when I finally got the car to run, it had no power. I cleaned and replaced both the IAC and Idle Speed Control Module with no improvement. On a hunch, I unplugged the MAF sensor while the car was running and instantly the car responded. I changed the MAF sensor and have not had any more problems.

Since this is a quick check, I would suggest you unplug the MAF sensor the next time this happens and see if the car starts and runs. If not, I would try cleaning the MAF, IAC, and Idle Speed Control module with CRC Mass Air Flow Sensor Cleaner. Do not use throttle body cleaner or other parts cleaners as they may damage the sensors.

Good luck and keep us posted.

D-Lex