Rain Sensor Won't Stick

My "new" 05 RX has a new windshield that was replaced by the PO. I noticed the rain detector was at half mast and it won't stay attached to the windshield. I have ordered a new window (a gummy piece of soft clear plastic) to the tune of $20 (yikes) I imagine it will have enough fresh double sided sticky stuff to stay stuck on the windshield. Am I on the right track? There's no evidence of anything else holding it to the windshield.

TIA

Bruce

Hi Bruce,

You will only know if your on the right track until you apply the new adhesive. The two most important things are, that it sticks well, but more importantly, that the adhesive is transparant enough to allow the sensor to pick up any rain or moisture on the windshield.

If you are still having problems, I would try a professioal auto glass store or better, your Lexus dealer.

Come back and let us know how things turn out.

Paul

The other option (that I like better) is to disconnect the rain sensor altogether, and you regain normal control over the speed of the intermittent wiper.

The other option (that I like better) is to disconnect the rain sensor altogether, and you regain normal control over the speed of the intermittent wiper.

Huh??

Or, you could use the sensitivity adjustment control for the same effect.

It's not the same. In WA state where we get misty rain frequently, the auto wiper settings never worked well for me. I like controlling the intermittent speed myself.

I love rain sensor activated windshield wipers. Yes, the commercial type of adhesive "stickers" are completely up to holding your rain sensor to the windshield. The same type of sticky fasters are commonly used to attach inside rear view mirrors to windshields and they were former used hold the inside part of cell phone antennas to the back of rear windows.

You have to be very careful when installing these clear adhesive sheets - you only have one chance to get it right. The only one I installed was to hold a Porsche 944 high mounted brake light to a rear window - it was tricky to install but it held for the remaining five years I owned the car. If in doubt have an auto body shop or car dealer do it for you.

A follow-up: Got the $20 plastic window and it does not self stick. It is jelly like in order to make optical contact between the sensor and the windshield glass, but is not adhesive enough to hold things togather. I put a bead of RTV around the window and clamped it in place using a rag stuffed between the box and the rear view mirror. Seems to have done the trick. A rain test is likely to come soon as I live in Oregon.

• 4 weeks later...

Rain test came and wipers revert to standard intermittent operation. In other words, the sensing device doesn't work. This car has so many arcane reset codes for other automated functions, I'm wondering if there isn't some bizarre setup for the wipers? Id really like to see this system work.

Hi Bruce,

I know you don't want to spend a lot of money on this, but I think to really trouble shoot the problem, it's time to have a dealer look at it. This doesn't mean you have to have them repair it if you think it's more than you want to spend. But it may just need a part or connector that you can put on your self.

If it is a part, you can order one at sewellparts.com. This is a large Lexus dealer in Dallas, TX that offers a great discount on parts to Lexus Owners Club members. I needed a key fob for my 2013 ES. My dealer wanted around $320. Sewell had it for $162.

Paul

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks all for your help!

Problem started out with rain sensor becoming detached from the windshield. I did not realize that the metal bracket that is glued to the windshield detaches from the detector module by means of a locking piece on the module's bottom. Separating the metal bracket and cleaning all glue residue off, I used rearview mirror glue to reattach the metal bracket to the windshield, let it cure for a day, and then attached the detector after cleaning the window tape with alcohol. I sprayed the windshield with some glass cleaner and guess what? The wipers dutifully responded!

Paul, you're right - should have gone to the dealer right off - but I'd have missed out on all this trial and error fun.

If your a DIY kind of a guy, there is nothing better than the thrill of the hunt until you finaly catch your nemisis, and solve the problem.

You can see what a wonderful group of member/owners the Club has, and we're glad your with us.

Paul

• 2 years later...
  • 7 months later...

Band , so yours is working well now ? dose the detector stick well to windshield now and not fall off again ?

i have the same problem with my 2015 RX350 . my car only has 16k miles and still under manufacturer  warranty . Anybody know if Lexus dealer will repair it under the manufacturer  warranty ? the car  has the original Lexus glass. Thanks 

• 3 months later...
On 8/23/2016 at 10:03 AM, goodguy said:

Band , so yours is working well now ? dose the detector stick well to windshield now and not fall off again ?

i have the same problem with my 2015 RX350 . my car only has 16k miles and still under manufacturer  warranty . Anybody know if Lexus dealer will repair it under the manufacturer  warranty ? the car  has the original Lexus glass. Thanks 

On 12/28/2015 at 0:35 PM, 1990LS400 said:

If no one responds with an answer, maybe take your vehicle by an auto glass replacement company such as Safelite. Those guys remove and reattach rain sensors every day.

On 12/28/2015 at 9:42 AM, flynkites said:

My module fell off the windshield. The metal bracket is still on the windshield but I cannot get the module to reconnect to the bracket. What am I doing wrong?

@ flyinkites

Unfortunately those rain sensor attach points are make of plastic and if one or two of these small plastic pieces break, the sensor body will not attach to the metal bracket on the windshield.If you look carefully at the two points where the metal brackets meet the sensor you will see if the part I am talking about is broke.