Best Replacement Tires For Rx 350

eab3245

Hi folks, I'm a new member. Today one of our Michelin's sucked up a bolt and in the process tore the side walls to pieces. Wife babied it to the next parking lot and now I am in the market for some new kicks on the 2010 RX350.

I have replaced the factory 2 factory Michelin tires and have been happy with the ride and feel of the tires. However, I am not so happy so with the quick wear on them. Does anyone have a better option without giving up ride and quiet ride? I am not necessarily looking for a cheaper option, because at the rate the Michelin go, I just want them to wear better, last longer and ride the same or better.

Any thoughts are appreciated.

I think that my next tires will be Bridgestone Ecopia HL 422. 235/55/19". It must be said that I live in L.A. so weather is not an issue here...very little rain, nice year round. I was looking at Pirelli Scorpion Verde but I was talked out of it or any Pirelli tire.

I don't need tires for another year though. But I do like to research way beforehand on anything. My last RX was a 2006 RX400h and the best tires that I had on that were Yokohama Parada Spec X...they were fabulous. Hope this helps...there was already a topic on this...see earlier post...at this time it is still on this page. Rey in L.A. Aug 2013

• 2 months later...

I would recommend visiting some tire stores that carry several well-known brands of tires and asking them what they would recommend. Also, visit some additional Lexus forms and the Tire Rack reviews.

Personally, I prefer Michelins and have used them on multiple vehicles. They have always worn VERY well and have good traction in rain & snowy conditions. I also feel that a light-truck tire, like the Michelin LTX/MS-2 might be a possible option, provided it comes in the appropriate size(s).

• 2 months later...

Our '11 RX350 has got the factory P235/55R19 101V Michelin Latitude Tour HP. When we got the vehicle, never thought it would be great traction on anything but a few inches of soft snow. Over the past few winters, driving it around up to 1' snow has been no issue. I just lock the diffs and shut-off the traction control (in the city). The Michelin's have performed beyond my expectations for a 19". That said, when the flakes come down with vengeance, nothing beats having real snow tires as opposed to these all-seasons.

Mind you our Pacific Northwest weather is extremely mild compared to my past life in Ohio. The Michelins are quiet, and so far, with 18k miles, the wear is not even 1/3 gone. Will be sticking with this brand when replacement time comes.

• 11 months later...

As with Rottboy, I too have a 2011 RX 350 and, as the new second owner, had to replace the original factory Dunlops. I went to America's Tire and also bought the Michelin 101V Latitude Tour HP. I'm not happy with the price but I like the ride and handling so far. I would say that the jury is still out on my selection as I become a more experienced owner,

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I have a 2010 350 with 18" wheels and 67,216 miles. Had Michelin Latitudes when I bought it and I replaced those with Latitude Tour HP at around 40k miles. This is my second RX (had a 2007 previously) and had only used Michelin tires on that one too. Even carefully maintaining pressure, insuring alignment and observing approx 6k mile rotations (rotate on same side only, no reversing rotation direction) the Michelins on both vehicles always got noisy. Really upsetting for such expensive tires! At 63,600 miles got tired of those tires making what's otherwise a very quiet vehicle sound like a truck! Decided to replace the Michelins. Did a bunch of checking on this site, a few others and Tire Rack. Based on that took a chance and fitted Continental CrossContact LX20 tires, which got the highest customer rating on the Tire Rack site. These were only $156 each, compared to ~$220 for Michelins and after 3600 miles I'm so far convinced I made the right decision! Quiet and smooth ride initially (but what tire doesn't give that) and they have stayed that way. I live in the West Michigan snow belt and have driven them in up to 8" of loose snow, in 1-2" of standing water and on several types of dry pavement and I'm extremely satisfied. These tires have 70k mile warranty which I think is better than Michelin. Until I tried these I'd bought into the Michelin hype but now am very happy I believed other reviewers and went with these.

I have had the best SUV Michelins in the world as they say. No question Michelins hold up and last, Quality no question. My last set of Michelins, sorry, they were called the best SUV tire in the world were solid. Cut thru snow and dependable but......I thought they were noisy after about 10-15K. On the aside I had Pilot Sports on my GS 300 and would not trade them for any tire. So....I am going to pass on Michelins based on value. They are expensive and the stock Dunlops handled nicely, somewhat noisy but wore out after 2 road trips of 600 miles at 20k . I think the Bridgstone Ecopia 422 will be my next choice because I want something that will quiet the ride over small bumps if there is such a tire. I still wonder how Lexus can make RX350 jiggle all over the road at 20mph.....so Bridgstone Ecopia or what have others tried that WORK? I do travel in light snow on occasions but mostly I am highway and streets....someone somewhere mentioned Yokohamas???

• 2 weeks later...

Recently replaced all 4 tires on my wife's 2013 RAV4 Limited. With 15,000 miles she (accidently) drove on a flat and ruined one of the tires. The factory sneakers were Bridgestone Potenza 18" I replaced them with Goodyear Assurance tires for a tick under a grand. I was very surprized that they were much better than the factory Bridgestones. While Michelins are great tires, they wear too long for me. I do not need a 60,000 mile tire, I prefer to replace them around 30,000. Only the first half of any tire is worth a hoot anyway.

• 5 months later...

I have learned over the past 50yrs after trying many other brands that Michelin tires are the best. To get the high milage you have to comprise performance (who races aroung corners anyway with a rx350) with firmness. Read the specs on the tires from Michelin and pick one with a 400+ treadwear. A 200 treadwear will last 20-40k where a 400-600 treadwear will go 60-80k, but you have ensure maintenance of tire pressure and keep the alignment in spec if you hit a pothole or curb to get the high milage. A high treadwear will be firmer and you may notice a bit more noise from the road. I like the Pilot series.

• 4 weeks later...

I have a 2013 Rx 350, my first lexus, by far from some forums and Tire Rack, these were the suggestions :

Good Year Assurance

Michelins

Continental CrossContact LX20

Any suggestions anyone? someone who has a 2013 and changed a while ago would be of a less chance I believe

• 2 weeks later...

I know many people buy tires for long mileage treadwear which is fine however I really don't feel comfortable on old tires with 50,000 or more miles. The rubber gets hard and the ride gets harsh slowly over a period of time. For a better ride and safety I don't like tires after they reach 30,000 miles.

Something many don't consider is winter tires. New snow tires are not like those of the past as now they are very high tech and ride excellent. Amazingly, the last set of Dunlop Graspics lasted 8 seasons and still had more than half the tread when I replaced them as they were seriously date worn being 10 years old. Put on fresh Yokohama Ice Grips which are fabulous. My daughter drives this car in Baltimore and I have always felt snow tires were cheaper than accidents so...

• 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...

Well after a few years, any new recommendations on tires for the 2010-2015 RX?

I've been running Dunlop 235/55r19 for the last four years, about 40k miles.  Pretty close to wanting to replace them.  And.. poof have a blow out that takes out the sidewall on one tire.

The Dunlop are okay, have lasted a long time, stood up well, but they are noisy.  Could be the road, but still I was expecting more quiet ride than they offer.  Good in snow, although I have nothing else to compare them to.

I found the Milestar MS932 Sport Radial Tire, 235/55R19 105V for around $100.  Considering this tire, just wondering if anyone has them on their RX 350?  Noise is a big consideration for me.  Seems Amazon ratings are all 5 star for this particular tire and size, but not many reviews.

Specifications

1. Tire Load Index    
  2. 105
  3. Tire Treadwear Rating    
  4. 540
  5. Type    
  6. Cars
  7. Tire Diameter    
  8. 29.3 Inches
  9. Tire Temperature Rating    
  10. A
  11. Tire Size    
  12. 235/55R19
  13. Model    
  14. 24497002
  15. Brand    
  16. Milestar
  17. Tire Season    
  18. All Season
  19. Tire Width    
  20. 235
  21. Vehicle Type    
  22. Passenger
  23. Condition    
  24. New
  25. Size    
  26. 235/55R19
  27. Manufacturer Part Number    
  28. 24497002
  29. Tire Sidewall Style    
  30. Black Sidewall
  31. Color    
  32. Black Sidewall
  33. Overall Diameter    
  34. 29.3 Inches
  35. Tire Traction Rating    
  36. A
  37. Tire Speed Rating    
  38. V
  39. Assembled Product Dimensions (L x W x H)    
  40. 30.00 x 9.60 x 30.00 Inches

• 2 years later...

I too have historically been a fan of Michelin tires.  I recently bought a 2014 Lexus RX 350 with Michelin Premier LTX tires.  They are quiet, ride and handle really well.  However, when you check the reviews on www.tirerack.com there are MANY complaints on tread life.  The BF Goodrich Advantage T/A Sport LT is the top rated tire for our vehicle by both Tirerack and America's Tire.

• 1 month later...

OK, I'm a little off base here.  I don't even have an RX yet (shopping at this time).  I'll prolly end up with a mid-life 08~09 RX 350.  That model appeals to my senses more than the later ones.  

Anyway, I commented in some threads about lifted and off-road'ing RX owners about wheel/tire combos, and we'll see where those discussions go ...

Since I'm pension age and have been driving since I was 14, I've tried some tires in my time.  Cheap to high roller. 

Michelin's have always been sweet when new, but go south with age, fairly quickly. 

Most Goodyear's I have tried/had have had somewhat tender 2-ply sidewalls.  So curb cuts and rock cuts are more common.

Bridgestone's have been good all around, but not as quiet as some.

Yokohama's have lasted the longest w/o aging out (sidewall cracks from Ozone). And their Avid line is really quiet.  Their GeoLanders are great off-road.

The tires I am experimenting with now are Kenda's.  Kenda made their reputation with off-road motorcycle tires, bicycle tires, and tractor tires.  But I bought a pair of Kenda Kinetica's for the front of a drag car I was building.  Took them to tire shop and mounted them per instructions (red dot to dot on rim if available, yellow dot to valve stem if not) and neither one required any weight to balance.  First time that ever occurred in my life.  Two tires with ZERO balance weights required ...  

Needles to say, that piqued my interest.  So now I have Kendas on my 4x4 pick-up, on Pop's truck, had them on my Saab 9-5 (sold), and will put a set on my mild off-road wheels for the RX 350 I'll be buying soon.

Don't know what I'll use for daily driving set-up on OEM wheels?  Prolly  go Yokohama Avids in a +1 ... 

Anyway, hope this helps some looking for tires.

• 4 months later...

I bought a used 2000 RX300 about 3 1/2 years ago. The tires were hard and brittle, so I replaced them with Nokian all season tires. I've never had such good tires in my life, and I've tried a lot of them in my 74 years. These are still showing very little wear, and they ride smooth and quiet. They also have great grip in rain or snow. I've never spun the tires or slid in the snow. On top of that, they were about $250 less for a set of 4 than any other brand I looked at.