Led Tail Light Out, How To Replace?

The drivers side LED outer brake/ tail light has a few LED lights out. The middle row but not all the lights are out. They dont light up when the brake is depressed or just as running lights. What is needed to replace the LEDs? Has anyone else run into this? Does the whole Housing need to be replaced?

I uninstalled the light assembly from the car but cant figure out how to replace the broken lights?

I don't see replaceable LED's in the parts list. On another forum I'm reading that the LED's are hardwired on a circuit board. Sewell sells the outer driver side light unit for about $250 if you register with your Lexus Owners Club member name: http://lexus.sewellparts.com/oem-catalog/8111813223-Electrical-RX400H-2006.html

I'm seeing a number of RX400h driver side outer light modules on ebay: http://www.ebay.com/sch/6000/i.html?_nkw=RX400h+tail+light&_dmpt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&_rdc=2

I have no idea if it's possible to open up the light unit and replace the LED's - components of modules like this are sometimes glued together.

I also saw the parts list and did not see any replacement bulbs. I feel like im on crazy pills but doesnt it just make sense to be able to replace a normal maintenance item like a Light rather than a Whole tail light assymbly. So Dumb if this is the case. This is essentially a 200 dollar light bulb. Nice Lexus....Nice

This is essentially a 200 dollar light bulb. Nice Lexus....Nice

It's not just Toyota (Lexus) that does this. The LED's in all taillight units I know about are also sealed not replaceable - including the ones on our Prius. Modern LED's are supposed to be "lifetime" but I guess it depends on whose lifetime you are talking about. I was surprised a few years back when I had an audio system problem on my 2000 LS to find that the statutory requirement to supply replacement parts was only 6 or 7 years after the date of sale - no parts were available from Lexus. And we've bought a number of products with "lifetime" warranties where the warranties specifically stated that the seller determines the useful lifetime of the product.

So ... I guess it is just the "joy of technology". I wonder how much it will cost to replace s headlight unit on our Prius if one of the two LED low-beams in each unit ever fails - probably a LOT! One of the $75 to $150 RX400h taillight units on eBay or the $250 one from Sewell is looking pretty good to me.

The dealer just confirmed it. It is a whole assembly that has to be replaced. The parts guy had to go ask the techs in the garage but he said the techs knew right away that this was the case. He said the techs sounded like that has happened before on occasions. Still very disappointing. I guess for 75k miles out of a taillight i did pretty good. But not for these parts selling scheme tailights. I just hope my headlights dont go out. I would rather just wreck my car and pay my deductable to replace the parts. haha

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 years later...

I added a 3rd brake light flasher to my 05 RX330, after both of being hit form behind, the flashing brake light gives me peace of mind when slowing to a stop. It really seems to have made a difference. I have since put them on all my vehicles.

Here is a link: https://www.amazon.com/Vehicle-Flasher-Module-Universal-Motorcycles/dp/B00FADDOL4/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1490113093&sr=8-2&keywords=3rd+brake+light+flasher

If link does not work, copy and paste into address bar.

• 2 years later...