Timing Belt Change In 2003 Ls430..........price To Compare With

PilotguyPA28

Just got my timing belt changed by a Toyota Dealer. I may miss something but they did the belt, pulleys, tensioner, water pump, drive belt, thermostat, flushed the radiator and refilled, etc. Had 93,000 miles and 10 years old. I wanted the peace of mind. Total cost was $925.00. Lexus Dealer 60 miles away wanted $1,400. Have owned it since 2007 and 31,000 miles. Except for $280 for a power door lock this is all I have spent on it except for oil changes, brakes, and tires. I'm satisfied.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

You really have to check shop reviews and trust the guy. At that price it could be a bait and switch price- what are you going to do when he opens up your engine and then calls you back with the dreaded supplement ( the shop owns you at that point) or worse puts on the belt and coolant and ignores the failing pulleys or tensioner like the chain tire shops due or put on non factory supplier parts to only leave you three years from now with a poorly working heater mystery or leak under the timing cover from the high profit Chinese water pump. Proceed with caution.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

I just did my 2001 LS430. Second owner. 97000 mi. Dealer wanted $750 while a former Toyota tech across the street did it for $650. Both good prices, tho. They both said the pulleys and tensioners should be inspected but not necessarily replaced until the second time around. Ok then. So he did the t-belt, serp belt, water pump and coolant. The old timing belt was in very good shape, except one cross rib had some fraying where the cords where becoming more visible. The outside of the belt at this spot was a bit shiny for about half an inch.