90,000 Mile Scheduled Maintentance

Dave_02RX300

...proving you can't have too many posts on this subject. I've spent a few hours reading the posts on this and other forums. And listed below is exactly what is printed in the RX300 maintenance manual. Since my RX300 is a 2002, I have included two major replacements from the 120k list because my car is 11 years old.

It seems to me, from reading many (most, but not all) of the posts, there are 4 main points of debate:

1) timing belt replacement (yes/no)

2) drain vs. replace trans fluid

3) replace plugs (yes/no)

Well, the manual says to do all 3 of those (as shown below) when the car gets to 8 years old (90k, 120k - doesn't matter because my car is old old old and has never had the trans fluid replaced on my watch).

4) WATER PUMP:

I could not find the water pump mentioned in ANY location of the maintentance manual for the RX300 (2002 year).

Some say do it because why not it adds only a little expense, and they got the timing belt off, and all the rest of the crap, so do it. Others say it will go 150k miles.

My opinion - replace it - I lost a waterpump driving a different make/model of car, and I was 125 miles from home, and it shot the propeller through the radiator. No, it was not a Lexus, it was a 1970 Volvo (ok, it's true story and I hope you are laughing).

None the less, I will probably replace the water pump because of fear, just FEAR.

Well here's the list, plus water pump. I think I am going to a non-dealer mechanic that knows Lexus.

-Dave

------------------------------------------

RX300 Maintenance List (including the major replacements for 120k or 8 years)

------------------------------------------

replace A/C Filter
replace brake fluid
replace engine air filter
replace engine coolant
replace oil and oil filter
replace timing belt
re-torque drive shaft flange bolts
replace spark plugs (@96 mo)
replace differential oil (@96 mo)

inspect the following:
ball joints and dust covers
inspect the car body
brake lines and hoses
brakes, linings, pads, rotors, etc.
drive belts
drive shaft boots
exhaust and mountings
fuel lines, tank, vapor, vent
fuel cap gasket
rack and pinion
steering linkage and boots
transmission
transfer case and differential oil

rotate tires
test drive

Paranoia about the water pump isn't bad since I had one fail on my first Lexus (LS400) at only 75,000 miles. With that said, I think your RX is a lot more reliable than that 1970 Volvo you had. I'm a "three time loser" with Volvos: 1972 145 wagon, 1973 P1800, 1978 242DL SRO - sold them all between 1978 and 1979.

• Like 1

Well no debate, do not under any circumstance let anybody do a flush on your transmission, especially since the fluid is original. You will regret it. as for the timing belt, yes, water pump yes, spark plugs No, but if you must go ahead, but make sure they are Original equipment Denso or NGK iridium plugs like the original, (DO NOT USE Bosch plugs under any circumstance.) Repeat, drain and fill only on the transmission unless you know somebody that can do a fluid exchange with the use of the transmission pump. Just have them drop the pan, clean the filter (or replace if it is paper) and refill fluid to proper level. Good luck and enjoy your ride. replace the differential fluid yes. Coolant only with Toyota RED or Pink fluid....

• Like 1

OK - I took it into the dealer. I thought about the non-dealer mechanics in my area, but there was no concise opinion on them good vs. bad - half of all yelpers and angieslisters said F-, and the other half would say A+. Can't take the chance they screw it up.

So, the dealer said I don't need the water pump - that's why it's not on the maintenance list. In fact, it's not driven by the drive shaft (like the old Volvo), it's on a separate belt. They said, if it starts to leak (unlikely) it will leak onto the ground, slowly, and it has its own Parts + Labor cost, independent of the timing belt work and the 90k maintenance.

As for the transmission fluid - they "inspect it" and if it needs replacing they do so, otherwise they don't.

The quote was approx. $1250, but I expect it to be more after the "brake inspection" - that may cause it to be much higher if there is brake work besides replacing the brake fluid.

I'll let you know when it's done. In the mean time, I am enjoying the free loaner car: the IS350 - a real rocket sled!

-Dave

the water pump is driven by the timing belt so the information I gave you is kind of a not correct. That is why many replace pump during timing belt change....however the pump is very robust.....Toyota dealer would have been cheaper.

Well, looks like you're right. I wonder why (a) the quote for the WP wasn't lower, since they're already doing the effort for the timing belt. and (b) the dealer said I don't need it. Oh well, when the pump goes, if it goes, I will worry about that the...

Here's an interesting video of someone changing the timing belt and WP on an 03:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aPwYEgrcHA8

Hopefully if the WP ever does go... I will know that sound to a "t". I heard it on the old Volvo, and also on my old 82 Tercel. I won't ever forget that sound of a water pump "about to go"

You should be fine....I did mine on my rx400h.but like I said the pump is very well built.just always use Toyota coolant. It is e pensive but the best

Indeed they replaced the coolant (what Dad used to call radiator fluid). They did not replace the trans. fluid. Supposedly they inspected it - I'll ask for a report on that inspection.

Something new: When the stereo is played just loud enough, the passenger door handle rattles on the outside of the car. I could use duct tape to fix this,
but then we won't be able to use the passenger door ^_^ Has anyone ever resolved an outside door handle rattle, and are there any images that show a good fix? And why would this occur only now - post 90k maintenance, while driving home from the shop?

Here's the cross link to the new issue so we don't plug up this thread:

http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums/topic/15762-rattling-behind-door-panel/