Common Rx300 Overheating Problems?

Lexus_71

My 2000 RX300 literally started overheating all at once, as in pegging the guage and boiling the coolant. I have had no other issues with it so far. It has 178,000 miles and I have had it since 100,000. Top hose was HOT and bottom was cool/warm so I thought thermostat. I have pulled the thermostat and it looks fine. I boiled a pan of water and it seems to be openng fine, at least as well as the crappy new one from the parts store does, about 1/4" gap. I am not sure that this is my problem. I have mechanical experience, but mostly on older American cars, still learning on the newer foreign cars.

I am looking for common issues on the 3.0 VVT engine first. The water pump is a pain, and the radiator is expensive. I am assuming this is a reverse flow system(in the bottom out the top of the radiator)?

You are a first that I have seen...By the way did you get the thermostat with the little jiggle valve? That is pretty important when trying to get the air out of the system. You may have a clogged radiator....Also have you been using the Toyota Red or Pink coolant.....

• 2 years later...